Talk about the recent Tours
 #96306  by tcsned

They did an admirable job with "Fool in the Rain" last night. They broke out my wife's favorite Zep tune on her almost b-day show - she was sure happy! Russo really stood out on the tune. JK sang it and played well, Chimenti nailed the piano, Bob and Phil were tight too. Here's the only vid of it I've found so far.

#96356  by jdasa

One of my favorite Zep songs. This one falls a little flat for me though. And JK obviously cannot sing like Robert Plant.
 #96360  by tcsned

bodiddley wrote:Effin' cool. Bobby shoulda broken out his old whistle for that one.
Russo was playing the salsa whistle - they didn't get it miked up really well.

jdasa - I hear you on the vocals. Plant's vocals are hard for any one to replicate. JK is hitting the notes but isn't quite doing the kind of melodic embellishments that Plant did. That being said, he carried the tune, at least live and in person . . . and they made my wife happy at her birthday show. They played the song tightly - my only criticism was that the octave tone JK used didn't really have the same feel as the Octavia or whatever device Page used or the same sense of melody and feeling of about to careen out of control that Page did so well on this tune.
 #96368  by tcsned

Thanks Vic - much better video!

Agreed Jonnyboy - Russo is really holding things down and keeping jams from disintegrating. Plus, he totally nails the Beatles and now Led Zep parts. The whole band is really playing well. Not the magic, looseness, or intensity of the GD w/Jerry but man, they are jamming well together.
 #96394  by CoolBreeze

yeah- it's not the Grateful Dead- it's something totally different. But really just great!

And when they broke "Fool in the Rain" - the place imploded- it was awesome!
 #96458  by NashvilleMike

Just got back from Hampton, Charleston and Atlanta. Everyone in the band is KILLING IT!
Plus the Fox in Atlanta is a very very cool venue.
 #96521  by jeffm725

Not an Octavia Page used on the Fool in the Rain solo, I believe it is an MXR Blue Box, cool effect. That was the only real part of the song I was disappointed in as I LOVE Page's solo on the original and JK is usually spot on when quoting Classic tunes (see: Time by Floyd, Pink) and I was REALLY looking forward to him wailing that solo. You could tell the crowd was anticipating it too. I bet that this was a late addition to the set list and that they had more time John would have NAILED it.

Very Hard song to sing (I used to try and tackle it in my High School band all those years ago...had a much higher voice then...), I thought JK did an admirable Job.
 #96525  by tcsned

jeffm725 wrote:Not an Octavia Page used on the Fool in the Rain solo, I believe it is an MXR Blue Box, cool effect. That was the only real part of the song I was disappointed in as I LOVE Page's solo on the original and JK is usually spot on when quoting Classic tunes (see: Time by Floyd, Pink) and I was REALLY looking forward to him wailing that solo. You could tell the crowd was anticipating it too. I bet that this was a late addition to the set list and that they had more time John would have NAILED it.

Very Hard song to sing (I used to try and tackle it in my High School band all those years ago...had a much higher voice then...), I thought JK did an admirable Job.
Agreed on the solo - Page's solo was my favorite of the later Zeppelin years. It's one of those that sounds like the train's up on two wheels and about to come off the tracks but never does. I'd have to say JK's octave sounded better in the recordings I've heard than in my seats (19th row). We were catching a lot of stage volume and not so much from the speakers - vocals were a little iffy all night but sound find from the audience recordings only 5 or 6 rows behind us. On the plus side I could hear Russo's salsa whistle since it didn't really get mic'ed right. It was a very-Jerry treatment of the solo which is cool, I just really looooove the original. Still very cool. I remember having a 45 of that tune and I think Hot Dog (another of my favorites from that period) as the B side.