#95832  by Grateful Dad

I went to three of the nights at the Tower Theatre and noticed Bob's amps were facing the other way (turned around towards the drums). I couldn't tell the maker of the amps but they looked like there were two twelves in each amp.

Can anyone offer a good reason why this was done?

:smile:

BTW the shows were awesome, everyone misses Jerry but I think Bob and Phil are happy after many years to finally be playing with enthusiastic, energetic, (and I dare say non-doped up) bandmates and it shows.
 #95834  by NWPines

Yeah, I noticed his amps facing backwards when checking out videos of the Abbey Road medley from 3/15/11. Was also wondering what that was about.
 #95835  by mkaufman

Speaker labels said 'Vox' -not sure about the cab.

I saw one show. Bob was way too low. JK could be heard, but not loud enough and mostly only with the lower frequencies. I moved up near the stage, just out in front and below the speaker stack. Completely different sound. JK was much brighter and in your face. It was like being at a different show.

Overall, I think the sound could be much better, including turning Phil down.

mk
 #95839  by tcsned

strumminsix wrote:I've seen this done to control an amp's volume.
not for the drummers :-)
 #96125  by SarnoMusicSolutions

Stone wrote:Artist that use in-ear monitors sometimes do this so that they can feel the guitar sound as well. With in-ears theres a big disconnect from yourself and the room. Very isolated type feeling.
Exactly. That's my understanding of why Bob has speakers up there at all. They're not mic'd and not in the PA. Only for stage belly feel. They were butted right up against the drummer and then baffled with boards. Moving them out away from the drums makes good sense. It's a cool tone coming out of those speakers. I wish they were mic'd.

Brad
 #96167  by Grant

ive been doing this at live shows for years. it's a far better environment to perform in for everyone involved when you keep stage volume at a minimum and get your feed from the foldback - i find the other guys on stage always appreciate it since guitarists are notoriously overbearing
 #107596  by TI4-1009

I thought he had been using two Vox fawn amps facing backward?
 #107631  by Phil Lesh101

I'm not sure about the pick's
Last edited by Phil Lesh101 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.