#95697  by strumminsix

Freakin' outstanding! Get's that 73-76 Bobby tone that I really like! (of course a guitar with 20 switching options helps!)

This is a great pairing of products. It didn't play nice with my Mesa 20/20. I'm sorta pissed I can't just play it all day.

Stupid work...
 #95698  by hogan

nice. Not surprised.
 #95703  by JonnyBoy

Nice Strum! You are breaking the mold and the possibilities for the SMS. Couldn't see how that preamp would not dial in a bunch of good sounds, it is pretty straight forward Fender clean channel pre. The Mesa was not what you thought?

Yes the SMS verb is a 24 bit hall, or studio lexicon style. I have a new digitech hardwire verb pedal that literally blew my mind and out shot the boss RV5 by a few feet for sure (I took home an RV5 for a day). The spring is spot on. Its all Lexicon verbs in that pedal.
 #95708  by tcsned

strummin, what about the Mesa/SMS pairing didn't you like? I've been using my Mark III and Mark IV's power section and it works pretty well. It's hard to get the Mark IV to sound really clean - I think it might be the 8ohm 1x12 speaker at stage volume. I've been thinking of getting a Mesa 50/50 so I'd be interested to hear what your issues were.
 #95713  by hogan

strumminsix wrote:Hogan, the SMS or that the Mesa didn't mate well? :lol:

The SMS.
 #95731  by strumminsix

Only 2 so far! My Mod Gen II with custom vintage Strat pickups

And my Rice #161 http://ricecustomguitars.com/instruments/161.html

The bass knob is really great since you have more room than on a traditional fender where you find that 1 spot between anemic and muddy.

Between the 2 only up'd the Treb a smidge.
 #95740  by tcsned

strumminsix wrote:The 20/20 was overdriving before I got it above a whisper. Think it needs some servicing.

It'll all be racked up in a few days!
Have you turned the output of the SMS down? It sends out a pretty hot signal - Brad told me when I ordered mine that I would probably have to turn the output way down mostly due to the fact that I'm using the effect return. I have been having guitar issues too and that was compounding things - I still didn't get a super clean tone at my last gig but still sounded cool - kind of an early 70s Jerrry-ish tone. I usually have down to about 2 or 3 o'clock - I think I turned it up when I was messing with it and forgot to turn it back down at my gig. I've also been considering the Rocktron Velocity 300 it's pretty cheap compared to the Boogies but it's hard for me to accept going solid state. How many watts is the Tubeworks?
 #95745  by jdsmodulus

I use a Crown amp with my SMS. I have plans for an MC2300. I also thought about a Mesa for future projects. This being said we added an On/Off switch for the output on the SMS rear panel. This way I can use a variety of amps without having issues as to what amp I want to use at any given time.
 #95768  by strumminsix

tcsned- I tried all combinations of all levels and the Mesa was still clipping badly early. Not even 5 watts of clean headroom and shitty tone.

Conversely, plugged in the TubeWorks 1160(80 watts RMS per channel at 4 Ohms, both channels driven) and instant great tone. Put the poweramp halfway up with the volume on the guitar on 10 (did not play) and adjusted the send level on the SMS to wear the highest point where the noise was quietest. That was GREAT guitar tone!!!
 #95771  by tcsned

strumminsix wrote:tcsned- I tried all combinations of all levels and the Mesa was still clipping badly early. Not even 5 watts of clean headroom and shitty tone.

Conversely, plugged in the TubeWorks 1160(80 watts RMS per channel at 4 Ohms, both channels driven) and instant great tone. Put the poweramp halfway up with the volume on the guitar on 10 (did not play) and adjusted the send level on the SMS to wear the highest point where the noise was quietest. That was GREAT guitar tone!!!
Interesting - it sounds like a power amp issue unless the Mesa is working fine with other preamps. I'm looking for something so I don't have to use one my my Mesa Marks for power and I don't think I want a Mac. I'll have to look into a Tubeworks - thanks!
 #95772  by deadguise

I tried all combinations of all levels and the Mesa was still clipping badly early. Not even 5 watts of clean headroom and shitty tone.
I run my SMS through an early 90s mesa 50/50, it was working fine until nrecently it's getting more distorted sounded. I had the power amp serviced a year ago and the tech had to reseat a "pre-amp tube"....
so apparantly these Mesa's had 12AX7s or something...maybe that might be the problem?