#94759  by williamsaut

Putting something in front of the Earth Drive pedal is interesting. I've got a Dirt Box. I will try doubling them up and see what I can come up with. Double Sarno pedals.

Anyone tried one of these yet? A while ago I remember reading that they were designed by one of the original techs at MXR.
Sounds pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhNbC8MwcH4
 #94822  by helio

williamsaut wrote:Putting something in front of the Earth Drive pedal is interesting. I've got a Dirt Box. I will try doubling them up and see what I can come up with. Double Sarno pedals.

Anyone tried one of these yet? A while ago I remember reading that they were designed by one of the original techs at MXR.
Sounds pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhNbC8MwcH4
- The Earth Drive creates a perfect low-gain foundation for me. As for running something into it: I'm running a Maxon OD-9 into the Earth Drive. But note I'm going for a Trey Anastasio-type OD tone. Earth Drive on low gain... push the Maxon into it at high gain... all into a compressor. "Chalk Dust Torture" heaven!

- Regarding the Whirlwind boxes: Haven't tried the distortion, but have tried the red box compressor and orange box phaser. Loved both. Moved onto a different compressor simply for tonal taste reasons, but the Whirlwind phaser ended my search for a warm, sweet, natural sounding phaser. Which is a very long way to say... based on my experience with the other two Whirlwind boxes, I'd say their take on the Distortion + is very much worth a look.
 #94934  by zoooombiex

there is a pedal called the "lovelight" that does a great job for late 60s jerry distortion. it was made by antelopefx, and they sometimes come up used.
 #95600  by jonnybabylon

I have been searching for a distortion that fits the bill. You know, like Garcia at front row, Rochester War Memorial-1984. I can still feel it....but it don't "come in a box". (hey, that's a good name for a fast food burger franchise!)
I think maybe the actual time and space have more to do with sound and inspiration than transformers, IC chips and maybe even tubes.
I have been trying every box I can get my hands on. Sold my old Ibanez, MXR, Dallas Arbiter, Rat...blah, blah, blah.
Shit, if I tell them what I think I'm after "crispy, yet not offensive to the people who would die for my sins.." well, I almost always end up with something Dime-bag might have used. (might have used well!) --But I can't stand that crap.
I'll say this...(here I go:) - with people in the house, and some dear sweet fool says "jonny, your guitar is over there." or something like that, I'm fine, no airsickness bag needed. But when I sit around some dreadful holding pen of a fake-ass just imagine the people listening kind of scenario....Nope.
Stomp-boxes! They all sound good,( or bad ). You're not that crazy. It's just, why do you want some sound or another, or not.
That said, what's up with the earth box, yo.
LV-Jonny
 #95613  by TI4-1009

jonnybabylon wrote: You know, like Garcia at front row, Rochester War Memorial-1984.
Ouch- hot button for me. I had tickets for that show but my second daughter was born April 10, C- section, so I couldn't really just head off to the ol' Dead show and leave my wife to manage. I still bust my daughter about causing me to miss that one :wink:
 #95634  by jonnybabylon

TI4-1009.....
Daughters and wives are worth more. A c-section in front of the sound board might have been a bit over the top, even for a Dead show. Recovering from a C-section a couple days later at Niagara Falls....maybe.
So, I should have mentioned the Zinky True Grit. That is a nice/nasty little distortion. It's got two stomp switches, distortion and boost. Very nice feature. The one I had was old, so the internal trim pot to balance the two levels was not in it like it is on all of them now. Zinky does the little smokey amps, too. He told me that the True Grit is like having two smokey amps strapped together. Very clean dirt......A very responsive pedal, way head-room. Clean to crunch, out of the way when off. The plugs go left to right, which kinda messed me up, but it can run on any power supply! (that's right) + or - tip, whatever volts. Hand made in Northern AZ. Stayed with it a couple months, but without the volume balance it was driving me crazy. Now I'm screwing around with an XXL by Tech 21.
 #95667  by mijknahs

MXR Distortion + 2000 Series (M204)