#94972  by Woody

Hi all,
Does anyone have info on how thick the Purpleheart core, and successive laminations are on the body of Wolf? I've seen some info on Dozin' that says the maple and purpleheart laminations are 1/28". Does this sound accurate?
Thanks,
Woody
Last edited by Woody on Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #94977  by Woody

Thanks, man. That's an awesome site, and together with Dozin' is where I most of my info. I was able to scale my drawings from several of the photos there, but there aren't any side shots, and I don't see anything on the thickness of the purpleheart core. I've got excellent info from this forum, and I appreciate your input.
 #94997  by alcorelectric

Woody,
I built a wolf copy a while back.
The center core I used 3/4" Purpleheart
The laminations had to be doubled up as I could not find the correct thickness
T
 #95131  by Woody

Hey T,
Thanks for the input. When you say your laminations needed to be doubled up, do you mean that you doubled the thickness so that 1/28" is 1/14"? Also do you have any pics of your final build?

Wood
 #95192  by alcorelectric

As I recall the thickness I was able to get was 1/58" I doubled them up to get 1/28"
I will look around for some pics Its been a while since I had the guitar
T
 #95198  by Woody

Hey T,
Nice job. Thanks for getting that pic for me. I kept thinking that 1/28" was not going to be thick enough to make the right impact, but it looks great. Thanks again.
Wood
 #95319  by alcorelectric

Where did you get the laminate sheets? I am doing a similar project and am looking for purple heart sheets
I believe I buoght them from an online supplier
Its been a while
If I find the name I will pass it on
T
 #95522  by Woody

Funny, this morning, I was looking at tools in my new Grizzly catalog that arrived this week, and was working my way to the wood section. I did notice, online, that they sell some pretty nice billets of quilted maple. I haven't looked into it in any detail, except that they no longer sell their top specimen, nor do they sell the 4A level, but they still have 5A quality.

Last year, I bought several purpleheart shorts (48") from Downs and Reader in Stoughton, MA. I have since used it all, and went back for more. The purpleheart they had availble was much lighter in color, and the grain was not as tight. They told me that if I call a day in advance, they can pull some more stock from the back warehouse. It's a bit of a ride, so I need to find the extra time.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check their veniers. It would save time to have the wood already sliced instead of having to get the rough cut, plane adjacent edges, and resaw (although I find that oddly satisfying).

Wood
 #115013  by softmachine72

That 1/16 is way too thick. the lams are two different thicknesses. the maple is .040 a hair more than a 1/32 the purple is about .020 a hair more than 1/64. the top and bottom is about 1/4 inch. all those layers together = about .75 add 1 inch for the core and you have the 1.75 thickness measures by Waldo when he had the guitar. see photos
http://s1027.photobucket.com/albums/y337/softmachine72/