#94623  by Grant

strumminsix wrote:
Grant wrote:I don't get why anyone would need more than 100w
It's easier to get tinnitus! :lol:

Only 3db louder than 50W which is only 3db louder than 25.
and my mc50 will blow your head off if you let it...
 #94825  by mijknahs

Oh, an MC100 would be pretty sweet. Half the weight of an MC2100 (30 something pounds). That would be my choice for a regular gigging amp if I could ever find one.
 #94826  by Grant

Pete B. wrote:
Typically for "Clean" Headroom.
fwiw, Jer used a 2300.
There is plenty of headroom in a 100w amp, 600w just seems completely unnecessary to me
 #94832  by Pete B.

Grant wrote:
Pete B. wrote:
Typically for "Clean" Headroom.
fwiw, Jer used a 2300.
There is plenty of headroom in a 100w amp, 600w just seems completely unnecessary to me
One side of a MC2300 is 300W (the other side was for "backup" in the event one side failed).
That's 100W maximum per JBL, in a 3x12 cab.
Seems reasonable for a theater/stadium rig, no?.
 #94839  by strumminsix

Pete B. wrote: One side of a MC2300 is 300W (the other side was for "backup" in the event one side failed).
have any of you guys really ever seen just half a side fail?
Not me.
 #94841  by mijknahs

strumminsix wrote:
Pete B. wrote: One side of a MC2300 is 300W (the other side was for "backup" in the event one side failed).
Not me.
You've never had one side of a stereo amp go out? Fry a transistor? It happens more easily than you think. Especially if you're only using one channel more than the other. I've also had my Fender Twin go out during a gig once and really wished I had a spare. The next time it happened (a couple years later), I had the SMS as backup and didn't miss a beat (so to speak).

If you're gigging as much as Garcia was in the 70's and 80's, and you're driving your equipment all over the country, your equipment is guaranteed to fail. It's just a matter of "when".
 #94844  by strumminsix

mijknahs wrote:
strumminsix wrote:
Not me.
You've never had one side of a stereo amp go out? Fry a transistor? It happens more easily than you think. Especially if you're only using one channel more than the other. I've also had my Fender Twin go out during a gig once and really wished I had a spare. The next time it happened (a couple years later), I had the SMS as backup and didn't miss a beat (so to speak).

If you're gigging as much as Garcia was in the 70's and 80's, and you're driving your equipment all over the country, your equipment is guaranteed to fail. It's just a matter of "when".
Never experienced that, Jim. I do, however, carry around double or tripple back-ups of most everything including a POD XT and a Crate Powerblock and a tuner and a Sansamp, shit the list goes on but I've never only fried half an amp.

Good to know, though, that it can happen and truly could be a back-up.
 #96045  by jenkins

I've fried half a mc2505. I don't think it was anything I did but it did happen. Also I'm not sure if I actually blew the channel bc it works half of the time. I think something in the volume pot got messed up bc if inturn it just diff I can get it work & it sounds great.
That's one awesome thing About a mac, u always have A backup w that second channel.
Even if your not cArrying your gear around the country it's bound to break sometime, like what was said above, it's not matter of if, it's a matter of when.
 #96052  by tapestry

I have a 2100 now and 1/2 of it is enough for sure. I plan to get a 3x12 and run my 2 x 12 as an extension cab on the far side of the stage next to my keyboard player. He is always wanting a bit more of me in his mix.

So I will use 1/2 of the mac fore my 3x12 and the other half for the 2x12. Separate volume controls for each! :D

Its a good thing we dont play out that much with all the freakin gear we have!