rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

 #94715  by gr8fullfred
 Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:18 am
Found some utubes of the Springfield Creamery Benefit. Here is Jerry playing a stock looking strat, not alligator, even has the trem bar attached. Incredibly enough, or perhaps not incredible at all, Jerry sounds like Jerry! There are several related vids, many have a lot of crowd shots. Is it possible that Jerry could be playing a stock strat thru a twin and yes folks its hard to believe, sound just like Jerry!


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLzUme1g ... re=related

PS The whole show was available on the torrents at one time. If you cant find it and absolutely have to have it, PM me
 #94718  by tcsned
 Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:44 am
Interesting. It's certainly not a new one since there's some visible fretboard wear. But it's a nice old maple fretboard strat. Not 'Gator for sure as it's a sunburst. Jerry would sound like Jerry playing a Squier throuhg a solid state amp. :-)

 #94723  by waldo041
 Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:40 pm
that guitar has been discussed before, and probably some searchable info here about it.
gr8fullfred wrote:Is it possible that Jerry could be playing a stock strat thru a twin and yes folks its hard to believe, sound just like Jerry!
this is also a searchable debate, but one i'll touch on again. Jerry sounds like Jerry because he IS Jerry!
BUT, Jerry's TONE does change with his equipment changes thru the years. He could never NOT be Jerry. that said, the sound he got from his gear could and does make a change from what it sounded like in the early days to where it ended up at in the end, and all the years inbetween.

Example - ChinaCat -

1970 - Strat - Stock


1971 - Nash Strat - Stock


1972 - Strat - Stock


1972(europe) - Nash Strat - NonStock


1974 - Wolf - Single Coils


1979 - Wolf - Humbuckers(Dual Sounds)
http://www.archive.org/details/gd1979-0 ... 445.flac16

1980 - Tiger - (Dual Sounds)


1988 - Tiger - Super 2's


1989 - Tiger - using a Crest Power Amp


1989 - Tiger -


1990 - Rosebud -


1993 - Rosebud - 90's Rack/Rig


peace,
waldo
 #94726  by JonnyBoy
 Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:44 pm
I thought he had a couple of Strats in his personal arsenal around this time... Not surprising during this era he would probably own a couple to find his favorite, which was eventually Alligator during that time.

Cool to hear the differences Waldo!
 #94727  by Tennessee Jedi
 Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:53 pm
JonnyBoy wrote:I thought he had a couple of Strats in his personal arsenal around this time... Not surprising during this era he would probably own a couple to find his favorite, which was eventually Alligator during that time.

Cool to hear the differences Waldo!
Image
Image
Image
 #94730  by tcsned
 Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:08 pm
As usual, you are right Waldo. The gear matters a lot. That's why were not all playing Chinese Strat knock-offs though practice amps - though a good player can pull a reasonable sound out of anything. Pickups, wood choice, electronics, amps, tubes, etc. all play into tone. The player is the biggest factor but everything matters. Nice history of his gear evolution there too . . . and China-Rider's :cool:
 #94734  by waldo041
 Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:26 pm
The Nash Strat(Alligator) is having it's bridge and tailpiece replaced with the new Alembic/Rick Turner made brass one with brass sustainer block, at the time of that Sunshine Daydream video. It comes back that December and played most of 73, but according to Parish, Jerry did not like the results. The magic of that guitar was lost with that bridge change, more notably the sustainer block. Wolf got the same deal initially, but after Jerry's dislike of the sustainer block in the Nash Strat, a purpleheart piece of wood was placed in the rout of Wolf where the sustainer block was. However, Wolf's initial bridge was the same type used on the Alligator.

that black strat was only used for midi and only used during space. Wolf comes back out with the Roland pickup mounted on it so that he could have access to the midi for the entire show.

peace,
waldo
 #94735  by TI4-1009
 Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:36 pm
Image

I always thought this one was Photoshopped- even the finger :wink:

But I never noticed the fret markers on that one! "Jerry Garcia teaches "Play By Numbers"!" All guitars should come like that.
 #94741  by waldo041
 Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:55 pm
dleonard wrote:Question regarding Jerry and the Strat --> Is he playing a Strat on the Live at Keystone recordings?
it was more then likely the Nash(Alligator) Strat. In August he is seen playing Wolf in the Hells Angel's forever footage.

This could be the first actual footage of Wolf.


peace,
waldo
 #94743  by tcsned
 Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:02 pm
Tennessee Jedi wrote:
waldo041 wrote: Wolf comes back out with the Roland pickup mounted on it so that he could have access to the midi for the entire show.

peace,
waldo
Image
yep, he was playing Wolf at the Warlocks shows in Hampton - the only time I saw that guitar in action.
 #94744  by Rusty the Scoob
 Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:15 pm
tcsned wrote:Interesting. It's certainly not a new one since there's some visible fretboard wear.
They were still using nitro-cellulose laquer in 72, not poly until later, right? I bet Jerry's famously acidic hands coupled with has practice habits and the Dead's touring schedule could cause visible wear on one of those necks in as little as a month or two.

IIRC wasn't Fender's change to rosewood fretboards initially driven by a desire for greater durability?
 #94749  by tcsned
 Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:48 pm
Rusty the Scoob wrote:
tcsned wrote:Interesting. It's certainly not a new one since there's some visible fretboard wear.
They were still using nitro-cellulose laquer in 72, not poly until later, right? I bet Jerry's famously acidic hands coupled with has practice habits and the Dead's touring schedule could cause visible wear on one of those necks in as little as a month or two.
Yeah, you're probably right. I forgot about the sweaty hands thing.