#94377  by tcsned

redbeard wrote:I've been on the same quest as yourself for the past couple months, after deciding to stop messing around and finally move toward buying the gear I really want and will own forever. Coming from the low end financially, I am revamping the rig in a process, right now I'm in what I consider the middle phase. I liquidated all of my amps but the bass amp, sold all effects without true bypass, and anything I could get rid of that is less than the best. Any moment now I'm finally getting to order my SMS Tube Pre with Jerry Mod, and I'm going to build (or acquire, if I get impatient) a cabinet with final speaker choice to be determined at a later date. Of course the dream is the JBL 120s, but in approaching it in steps I picked up a Tubeworks Combo amp with an Effects loop to patch the SMS into, which will hold me over until the time is right, and then get the right Power Amp, then the speakers. Essentially I've laid the groundwork for being able to utilize the SMS through my existing setup and then can build up from there as finance or the right ebay situation dictates. In an effort to preserve my ears as best I can anymore I kinda put the JBL as the last step if for no other reason than to keep myself from losing more of the top end out of my ears, at least for a while. The temptation of the sweetness of that rig at high volume with JBLs is too much for me at this point. I have a bad habit of liking it loud, and it's been an interesting recovery process to turn it down. Fortunately theres loads of fine speakers available which can do the job, and I really dont imagine I need to push 300w+ through anything ever. But it would be nice to be able to......someday...

I also had the same realization about the bass amp with a PWR IN. Going to give that a try with the SMS as well, and will be curious to see how my Peavey TNT 150 stacks up against the Tubeworks. Kind of a sad way to initiate the SMS, but all good things in all good time, it's still sound killer, it will just get more killerer down the line ;)

I've asked a lot of different questions on this board about different aspects of making the SMS work with different things throughout the last six months or so, a lot of good information in the replies I got, good stuff to check out if you haven't, started most of the threads with SMS, happy trails,

aa
Way to go! I can't be happier with mine.
 #94382  by TI4-1009

redbeard wrote: In an effort to preserve my ears as best I can anymore I kinda put the JBL as the last step if for no other reason than to keep myself from losing more of the top end out of my ears, at least for a while.
:lol: That's just the human body's way of "adapting" to the ice pick- aluminium JBL domes! Perfectly natural...
 #94391  by Jon S.

Chuckles wrote:I can attest to the nice tone Jon gets from his radical non-aluminum domed approach, lol.
Too kind! Hey, hope to see you again at JV's this Sunday for the next Black Muddy River Band gig.
 #94393  by vwjodyme

So wait, I am reading Redbeard's post that he is building his own speaker cab, and decide to check it out on youtube. It's just a wood box with 10.5 inch circle cut into the front :shock:
I always thought there'd be some electronics involved, but i think i can handle a wood box :lol:
why wouldn't everyone build there own :?:
 #94396  by JonnyBoy

vwjodyme wrote:So wait, I am reading Redbeard's post that he is building his own speaker cab, and decide to check it out on youtube. It's just a wood box with 10.5 inch circle cut into the front :shock:
I always thought there'd be some electronics involved, but i think i can handle a wood box :lol:
why wouldn't everyone build there own :?:

+1. A sheet of Baltic birch is about $75 ad you can build two cabs from it, if you plan out the wood properly. Being a carpenter myself, it seems easier to me than it may for someone that lacks the everyday knowledge. Plus having good tools makes it WAY easier.
 #94400  by vwjodyme

JonnyBoy wrote: +1. A sheet of Baltic birch is about $75 ad you can build two cabs from it, if you plan out the wood properly. Being a carpenter myself, it seems easier to me than it may for someone that lacks the everyday knowledge. Plus having good tools makes it WAY easier.
JB, if you don't mind me asking, did you use 15"h x 15"w x 13"d on your 1x12? also, do you recomend the interlocking method for the frame or bracing or both?

this is the perfect excuse for some new tools :lol:
 #94470  by flavaham

I just got an SMS and I'm running it through a Carvin TS100 into a 212 Avatar speaker cab. I'm loving it! Avatar makes a really nice cab and gives you a lot of speaker choices. Check them out.
 #94496  by Jon S.

I am totally loving my SMS Classic Preamp. Seriously, the SMS into my Rocktron Velocity 300 = game over. But I was wondering about one thing. I have the 3-way bright switch full on and keep the treble at about 3/4 on (bass and mids each about half on). Is that typical? For some reason, I thought I'd use less treble but the unit sounds perfect to me at the typical volumes I play at set up like this.
 #94691  by tdub

Pretty traditional here. Thomas Lieber Amercian Beauty guitar--Mike Wald buffer--Jerry-modded SMS Pre, McIntosh MC250 amp running one side of stereo into a JBL K120 in a bomb-proof cabinet from Tracy at Soundscaper. I am utterly, blissfully happy with the rig.
 #94697  by Arnold's Carnival

Glad to hear so many people are diggin on the SMS. Seems like the Rocktron Velocity is getting good reviews here too. I have been running my SMS for over a year with the Carvin TS100 and it suits my needs well. I have also had good sucess running the SMS into the return FX Loop of my Hayseed 30 (Vox Clone) for those applications that dont require the 100w/50w options on the Carvin.

For even lower volume i have been rediscovering my Victoria '59 Deluxe, now equipped with a 100w Jensen speaker and ecc82 in V1. Very clean 20w, even with the LP!
 #94714  by tcsned

Arnold's Carnival wrote:Glad to hear so many people are diggin on the SMS. Seems like the Rocktron Velocity is getting good reviews here too. I have been running my SMS for over a year with the Carvin TS100 and it suits my needs well. I have also had good sucess running the SMS into the return FX Loop of my Hayseed 30 (Vox Clone) for those applications that dont require the 100w/50w options on the Carvin.

For even lower volume i have been rediscovering my Victoria '59 Deluxe, now equipped with a 100w Jensen speaker and ecc82 in V1. Very clean 20w, even with the LP!
I was doing some testing of my SMS yesterday. I have been running it into the effects return of my Mesa Mark III head into the Mesa 2x12 (half open) cab - gets a great tone, plenty of headroom for a really clean sparkle. I ran it into the effects return of my Mark IV 1x12 combo set on "Tweed" power. It had some nice break up that really nailed the late 60s-early 70s tone. It was on my WGD with Barden humbuckers (no coil tap). Can't wait for the new one guitar to be ready so I can see how that works with the SMS. For you SMS owners, what resistors did you get? I got the "new audiophile carbon film type" as I like a little warmth to my tone and I think I made the perfect choice for my ears and playing style.

Those Victoria amps are super sweet. When Bob Margolin was playing and living around here I remember him having a really early one I think it was around '92-93. I think he was one of Victoria's early endorsers.