#94461  by whatsmynameagain

I have an extremely old winterland shirt and need help identifying the people on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Obviously Jimi Hendrix and Mic Jagger but the others I havent a clue. Please let me know your thoughts on the guy in the middle and the people on the bottom left and bottom right corners, thanks!!!

#94465  by whatsmynameagain

Because I want to know who they are and I figured some of you that are big dead fans from way back might know. Of course they are people who played there but who are they? That is the question. The guy in the middle is maybe Robert Plant? I dont know but trying to figure out and need some help. Thanks!
 #94469  by Chuckles

Robert Plant in platform boots? Not likely.

Got no idea, and not entirely sure that a forum comprised of Dead-based musicians are going to know a lot more...

Though... bottom right might be Johnny Winter?
 #94476  by Rusty the Scoob

jdsmodulus wrote:Well my first thought is why? Chances are they are just heads or musicians of the day that played there.
Guy in the middle has to be somebody... I don't see pushing Jimi and Mick into the corners in favor of some random guy in platform boots.

Very cool shirt, that's a neat piece of history! I like this game, too. Johnny Winter is a decent guess, it does look like him.

Wikipedia lists the following bands as having played there, a lot of much newer acts than I would have expected.
Starting with a 1966 double bill of Jefferson Airplane and the Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Bill Graham began to rent the venue occasionally for larger concerts that his nearby Fillmore Auditorium could not properly accommodate. After closing his New York City venue known as the Fillmore East in 1971, he began to hold regular weekend shows at Winterland. Various popular rock acts played there, including such bands and musicians as Bruce Springsteen, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Queen, Boston, Cream, Yes, KISS, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Steppenwolf, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Styx, The Allman Brothers Band, Grateful Dead, The Band, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Rush, Electric Light Orchestra, Genesis, Jefferson Airplane, Traffic, Golden Earring, Grand Funk Railroad, Humble Pie, Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Sha Na Na, Loggins and Messina, Lee Michaels, Heart, Deep Purple and Elvis Costello, the latter in support of his Armed Forces album. Many of the best-known rock acts from the 1960s and 1970s played at Winterland or played two blocks away across Geary Boulevard at the original Fillmore Auditorium. Peter Frampton recorded parts of the fourth best-selling live album ever, Frampton Comes Alive!, at Winterland. The Grateful Dead made Winterland their home base and The Band played their famous last show there on Thanksgiving Day 1976. That concert, featuring numerous guest performers including Neil Young, Eric Clapton, Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, and many others, was filmed by Martin Scorsese and released in theaters and as a soundtrack under the name The Last Waltz. Winterland was also host to the Sex Pistols' final show on January 14, 1978.
Kind of sad to say it but the guy in the middle could easily be Peter Frampton. :shock:
 #94479  by NashvilleMike

Maybe Mark Bolan from T-Rex?
 #94547  by Grateful Dad

deadguise wrote:That can't be Ace, it's Kenny G and it looks like he's holding a flute.... :lol:
If he's holding a flute could it be Ian Anderson from Jethro Tull? :idea:

It's either him or Mass. Senator John "Bring it On" Kerry's hippie twin brother.
:D
 #94820  by tigerstrat

Chuckles wrote: bottom right might be Johnny Winter?
+1, beat me to it.