rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

 #94456  by Grateful Dad
 Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:00 am
QueenJury1 wrote:This web site contains all the guitar tabs for just about every grateful dead song where do you find the bass tabs????? Help out please!!!
FWIW I check out the piano score bass clef for some ideas. More often than not I have found good basic ideas from which to build and expand upon Phil's thinking. The added bonus is that the piano score for the left hand also breaks down the rythym for each bar including the occasional odd time signatures and tempo changes (St. Stephen, Terrapin, Playin', Uncle John's Band, Truckin', etc.)

Hope this helps.

:smile:
 #94884  by zambiland
 Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:43 pm
I prefer to just practice with the recordings. They are so different from version to version that it's not worth learning one person's interpretation. If there are difficulties getting all the notes, you can get software that will slow stuff down and loop it without changing the pitch.

Also, practicing your theory helps a lot because Phil plays inside the chords a lot (including tensions, of course). Learn jazz and you'll have a good leg up on it.
 #99277  by Phil Lesh101
 Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:31 pm
QueenJury1 wrote:This web site contains all the guitar tabs for just about every grateful dead song where do you find the bass tabs????? Help out please!!!
It says the note LEtter Above the Lyrics. If it says B" Than Play B. There The Same :!:
 #99280  by Octal
 Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:39 am
Phil Lesh101 wrote:
QueenJury1 wrote:This web site contains all the guitar tabs for just about every grateful dead song where do you find the bass tabs????? Help out please!!!
It says the note LEtter Above the Lyrics. If it says B" Than Play B. There The Same :!:
Unless you're trying to play "LSD-Avant Garde-Balls on the Walls Psychedelic-Phil," in which case the bassist may play a different chord in a different time signature than what the rest of the band is playing.
 #99293  by Phil Lesh101
 Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:57 am
Octal wrote:
Phil Lesh101 wrote:
QueenJury1 wrote:This web site contains all the guitar tabs for just about every grateful dead song where do you find the bass tabs????? Help out please!!!
It says the note LEtter Above the Lyrics. If it says B" Than Play B. There The Same :!:
Unless you're trying to play "LSD-Avant Garde-Balls on the Walls Psychedelic-Phil," in which case the bassist may play a different chord in a different time signature than what the rest of the band is playing.
Shure but phil makes that shit up Every concert, He Dosent usually Play the same stuff, But when he does He Adds little things in it
 #100615  by seanc
 Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:11 am
Unfortunately, I am with scoob on this. There is no quick fix. There is no one right way to play a Phil part, or any dead song part. Unless everybody in the band is going to decide that you are going to learn and play the exact version of the same song it will just never really sound right.

The best way to approach these songs is to KNOW the song. Understand the chords and changes. Know the rhythm. Have a good feeling for the vocals. At that point you can at least start to put together a starting point. As a bass player, you then need to figure out what everybody else is going to play and bridge the gap between the rhythm and melody section. At times you need to decide really who IS the melody section and who is the rhyth section and what side of the fence the bass is on...

FOTM is a great example. For the most part everybody except the lead guitar is in the rhythm section. Mickey toms largely assume the rhythm guitar role. You could strip out everything but JG guitar and vocals and drums and have a really convincing listenable song.
 #105081  by ndrewoods
 Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:04 am
seanc wrote:Unfortunately, I am with scoob on this. There is no quick fix. There is no one right way to play a Phil part, or any dead song part. Unless everybody in the band is going to decide that you are going to learn and play with guitar the exact version of the same song it will just never really sound right.

The best way to approach these songs is to KNOW the song. Understand the chords and changes. Know the rhythm. Have a good feeling for the vocals. At that point you can at least start to put together a starting point. As a bass player, you then need to figure out what everybody else is going to play and bridge the gap between the rhythm and melody section. At times you need to decide really who IS the melody section and who is the rhyth section and what side of the fence the bass is on...

FOTM is a great example. For the most part everybody except the lead guitar is in the rhythm section. Mickey toms largely assume the rhythm guitar role. You could strip out everything but JG guitar and vocals and drums and have a really convincing listenable song.
:cool: Totally agree with you man. If I would interject, that is what transcribing music really is. You need to know the song first, listen to a recording of one song and familiarize with the melody and somehow get the chords or the tabs from it. A chord progression is also helpful in the process.
Last edited by ndrewoods on Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.