Chat about Equipment Info
 #94401  by playingdead

At Wildwood Guitars ... kinda pricey but jeez, it has plenty of knobs to play with.

Not as spectacular as my spalted Walker, though :shock:

http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/electric ... 713763.php
 #94406  by TI4-1009

I was reading Lesh's book recently and even he said all the knobs on the Starfire were way too much for him.
 #94419  by JonnyBoy

jdsmodulus wrote:I love the scene in the GD movie with Phil and the Bass! He is real spun! Great classic footage!

When he discovered the mechanical and electric camera amplified his active system. He seemed delighted to hear it, as if it was going to be an idea for seastones.
 #94423  by TI4-1009

jdsmodulus wrote:I love the scene in the GD movie with Phil and the Bass! He is real spun! Great classic footage!
+1 !
 #94869  by unnbrokenchain

Does anyone have any information on what kind of MIDI input jack that is? It looks from the pictures that it has a male connection rather than female connection. I'm just asking because these look a lot more durable and efficient then the one I have on my Carvin sh65. Is it the same as the one on Rosebud?
 #94873  by rugger

I'm sure the build quality on the Alembics is amazing. Call me crazy, but I just can't get down with much of the aesthetics on those instruments. I mean, what's up with those inlays? I usually like a simple fret marker, but those things are just out of proportion and look plain bad, imo.

John in San Diego
 #94888  by zambiland

Rusty the Scoob wrote:Holy crap.... 6 of those are stacked knobs. :lol:

Sweet guitar though! Alembic knows what they're doing. (although I do agree that Scott Walkers take on the spalted top is a cut above)
Actually, they aren't stacked. Alembic Series II electronics are pretty straightforward once you get the concept down. Each pickup has a lowpass filter with a frequency control and resonance at the filter cutoff point. Add a volume for each pickup and a master volume as well as a pickup selector switch and you've accounted for every knob except one. The last might be an LED dimmer (which I have on my Series I) but more likely is part of the MIDI setup.

http://alembic.com/club/messages/16271/ ... 1182027166

Phil's bass was just an amplification of the above concept with each filter being adjustable for high/band/lowpass and notch as well as the ability to blend filtered and unfiltered signals. Add in the controls for the quad pickup and that accounts for everything.
 #94891  by playingdead

Edwin, do you know how they managed to put individual volumes on each pickup with a master volume without seriously lowering the overall instrument output? I'm having this issue with my new Walker guitar, it sounds good and everything is working right, but the output is a lot lower than my other guitars. I can bring the volume back up with the onboard blaster circuit, but at the expense of some added noise.
 #94901  by TI4-1009

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. If you need labels on the controls it's too complicated.