#94093  by playingdead

Cleaning off a hard drive last night, found some footage of my old analog rig a few years ago, one of two shows I did with a Trio, Real Tube Reverb and Crown XLS-402 power amp. Was a bit too brittle and sterile, so I switched to the Egnater M4 and Focus power amp. I think the Trio went to Joel and I don't remember who snapped up the RT-921. Scott Walker got the 2X12 with the E-120s, but it's moved on from there already.

Something was bothering me during this sequence, I keep fiddling with it. Don't remember why.

Good times, though! Good and loud!
 #94098  by mgbills

Awesome. Love the Slip>Frank transition...including the tempo change. Really fun. :-)
 #94106  by Pete B.

Your drummer (purple shirt) controls his volume really well.
 #94246  by StPaul

Great sound guys! I have always been curious on the intro to GDTRFB. is it possible for you to tab out the intro? Daunting task I know, but would be much appreciated. I would love to bring this song to the table for our next gig.

Best regards,

Joe
 #94251  by playingdead

Oh, man, I can't even diagram a chord much less tab out an intro ... you might post in the GDTRFB forum here, someone might be able to help you out!
 #94265  by Tennessee Jedi

StPaul wrote:Great sound guys! I have always been curious on the intro to GDTRFB. is it possible for you to tab out the intro? Daunting task I know, but would be much appreciated. I would love to bring this song to the table for our next gig.

Best regards,

Joe
I get great stuff from their vids. Dude being a lefty makes it a challenge to figure out what he's up to. But totally worth the time it takes ....
loved the NFA-> GDTRFB too
Vic would sound great on Cort guitar through a Gorillia amp I think
 #94509  by JonnyBoy

Pete B. wrote:Your drummer (purple shirt) controls his volume really well.
YES!!! Soooooo key to a good mix and sound as a band, IMO.
When I showed our drummer the Playin' Dead videos and how well the drummers keep the volume PERFECT, a huge lesson was learned that day in our band. Everyone was surprised at how controlled even for the size stage and venue. And now since then, we have been playing with controlled drum volumes no matter what size stage or room. :thewave: . It has made our sound soooo much better and professional. It seems in our band, the drums can push up the volumes of all the other instruments until the vocals are drowned out and the mix turns to shit. The audience thanks us to for not blasting them away in small places. The Bar owners thank us repeatedly that their patrons can talk while they are there, and talk shit about the bands that play too loud (which is most of them and use to be us). It was Playin' dead that drove this home for us. Before then, it was always too loud and the vocals were muddy. Our band Owes Playin' Dead and the drummer in the purple shirt a huge THANK YOU for their Vids.
 #94513  by strumminsix

Firstly, great vids!
JonnyBoy wrote: It seems in our band, the drums can push up the volumes of all the other instruments until the vocals are drowned out and the mix turns to shit.
Not just your band, JB. I have played with many loud drummers and most claim they aren't as loud as an amplified instrument. :roll:
 #94581  by playingdead

Well, you know ... I once played with a drummer who hit his cymbals so hard I could feel the air moving at me. He was deafeningly loud. Our other drummer hits pretty hard, but not stupid hard. It's a constant dialogue. We're loud onstage, though, no mistake. But not nearly as loud when I got the new rig.

Couple other clips from that night, including an acoustic Bird Song. Special night for us. Very hot out, though, it's amusing to watch the fan inflate the drummer's shirt. We shot video the night before indoors, and he was prominently featured on camera, chewing gum all night. Couldn't get a break. LOL