rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

 #93527  by USBLUES
 Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:59 pm
I am in the process of building my pedal board. Good Ol' Jerry had a custom effects switching unit, and i like the propect of that so I can have my effect knobs at hands reach and on/off at the feet. Is there info on a diy project for this, a kit, or a resonably priced commercial product for this ?
 #93580  by USBLUES
 Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:37 am
Thanks man, i am checking these out as we speak. At first glance there doesn;t seem to be a good option at fairley low price. On the DOzin Schematic, not sure how acurate it is, Jerry has one cable that goes from the switch unit to the foot controller. Does that one cable have many leads in it? I want to have my pedals off the ground so I can f with the knobs, but i don't want two long calbes for every effect to the footswitch. SEe the red cable.

Image
 #93582  by hogan
 Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:42 am
Gcx or wobo. You gotta pay to play.
 #93583  by strumminsix
 Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:48 am
You are welcome, dude! There are some options that may help:
Wobo used to have the box and controller for $400. But I've never used one?!

The GCX can usually be found used with cables for a fair price. Also there are a few controller options. Mine is the GroundLink and was only like $80?!
 #93587  by erock
 Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:13 am
I'm actually picking up the parts today to build one of these.
http://www.singlecoil.com/tb-strip/tbstrip.html

I went in on a big order with a friend so we could split shipping, but it was still pretty cheap. for the switches and jacks i think it came to around $50, this is for 10 loops.

this is the cheapest I could find the switches, and jacks for the matter
http://www.mammothelectronics.com/4SFS3 ... 0-1005.htm
 #93594  by hogan
 Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:38 am
erock wrote:I'm actually picking up the parts today to build one of these.
http://www.singlecoil.com/tb-strip/tbstrip.html

I went in on a big order with a friend so we could split shipping, but it was still pretty cheap. for the switches and jacks i think it came to around $50, this is for 10 loops.

this is the cheapest I could find the switches, and jacks for the matter
http://www.mammothelectronics.com/4SFS3 ... 0-1005.htm
A true bypass strip (aka multiple loop box) is not the same thing as switcher. Erock, I suspect you already know this but for the original poster the link above is exactly what he doesn't want.
 #93604  by erock
 Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:35 am
hogan wrote:
erock wrote:I'm actually picking up the parts today to build one of these.
http://www.singlecoil.com/tb-strip/tbstrip.html

I went in on a big order with a friend so we could split shipping, but it was still pretty cheap. for the switches and jacks i think it came to around $50, this is for 10 loops.

this is the cheapest I could find the switches, and jacks for the matter
http://www.mammothelectronics.com/4SFS3 ... 0-1005.htm
A true bypass strip (aka multiple loop box) is not the same thing as switcher. Erock, I suspect you already know this but for the original poster the link above is exactly what he doesn't want.

doh, didn't know that actually. I think i was just excited to get the parts now i just need to find time to build the damn thing
 #93615  by erock
 Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:21 pm
waldo041 wrote:
erock wrote:this is the cheapest I could find the switches, and jacks for the matter
http://www.mammothelectronics.com/4SFS3 ... 0-1005.htm
thanks for the link erock! finally found some quality 4pDt footswitches!

peace,
waldo

my pleasure, my firend found that site, and everything I looked at was way cheaper than i could find elsewhere. good for hardware, but not so much on the caps and resister side of things.
 #100248  by RiverRat
 Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:53 am
waldo041 wrote:
erock wrote:this is the cheapest I could find the switches, and jacks for the matter
http://www.mammothelectronics.com/4SFS3 ... 0-1005.htm
thanks for the link erock! finally found some quality 4pDt footswitches!

peace,
waldo
Those are 3PDT.

Keep your eyes out for deals on eBay... I scored 25 of these for $30 WITH SHIPPING!
 #100318  by JonnyBoy
 Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:10 am
Unless you can get a snake like wire that you could wire all the loops too and then to the controller, you will have a million wires going everywhere with the conventional DIY true bypass loop station. The GCX and I assume some of the other higher end stuff uses Midi so it is one wire that is thin and manageable on stage. You can get your pedals into a top shelves of a rack, but the pedals will still need to be close to the GCX receiver to keep the wire thing in check there too. Very possible to do what you are asking with a GCX tho... I have my pedals in a Jerry like wooden rack I can set off the ground anywhere, and run the midi wire to the foot controller. Very effective and one of my most important and "Happy I bought it" piece of gear. Very rugged and durable too.
 #107292  by Jerry1996x
 Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:10 pm
OK, i know this has been explained many times, but just to be clear, what you do is plug you pedals into the box in the rack, which you run a cable from into the switcher on the ground. yes or no?