#93564  by broesau

What are the specs on the Super 80s? Are they a ceramic magnet? I know the dimarzio virtual PAF is what is in the Cowboy reissue, but I don't think they are really clones of Super 80s.
 #93581  by JonnyBoy

Or if you are into alnico the Eric Johnson Custom is very similar to the super II with a AlNico twist (resistance/ tonal winding)... like a strong and bright PAF, they have happily surprised me tone wise...

Super II - Treb- 8 Mid- 6 Bass- 4 DC RES- 8.7 Output= 400 Ceramic magnets

EJ Custom (bridge) - Treb- 8.5 Mid- 4.5 Bass- 5.5 DC Res- 7.6 Output=200 AlNiCo Mags

They are along the lines of a "Vintage output" level too which may be what you are looking for. The Super II's are still may favorites hands down for all styles of music, Plus a regular super Distortion sounds way better in the bridge than putting a Super II there, imo.
 #93590  by broesau

The super II and super 80 don't seem to sound similar at all to me. The super 80 seems to have more of a glassy tone, but that might be from it being in single mode. Maybe I'll try a virtual PAF and a Super II. Anybody have any opinions on the Ibanez V2 pickup? I had an Ibanez Studio years ago and it had V2 tri-sound pickups that I thought sounded close to the Super 80, although the Studio had a 2 band on board EQ.
 #93601  by strumminsix

alcorelectric wrote:Strummin played my st300 (Ibanez) that had the virtual pafs in it.
It very much had the "Weir" sound.
T
Indeed and thanks again! It did but really way too hot for my tastes.