Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

#93564  by broesau
 Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:00 am
What are the specs on the Super 80s? Are they a ceramic magnet? I know the dimarzio virtual PAF is what is in the Cowboy reissue, but I don't think they are really clones of Super 80s.
 #93581  by JonnyBoy
 Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:41 am
Or if you are into alnico the Eric Johnson Custom is very similar to the super II with a AlNico twist (resistance/ tonal winding)... like a strong and bright PAF, they have happily surprised me tone wise...

Super II - Treb- 8 Mid- 6 Bass- 4 DC RES- 8.7 Output= 400 Ceramic magnets

EJ Custom (bridge) - Treb- 8.5 Mid- 4.5 Bass- 5.5 DC Res- 7.6 Output=200 AlNiCo Mags

They are along the lines of a "Vintage output" level too which may be what you are looking for. The Super II's are still may favorites hands down for all styles of music, Plus a regular super Distortion sounds way better in the bridge than putting a Super II there, imo.
 #93590  by broesau
 Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:21 am
The super II and super 80 don't seem to sound similar at all to me. The super 80 seems to have more of a glassy tone, but that might be from it being in single mode. Maybe I'll try a virtual PAF and a Super II. Anybody have any opinions on the Ibanez V2 pickup? I had an Ibanez Studio years ago and it had V2 tri-sound pickups that I thought sounded close to the Super 80, although the Studio had a 2 band on board EQ.
 #93601  by strumminsix
 Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:08 am
alcorelectric wrote:Strummin played my st300 (Ibanez) that had the virtual pafs in it.
It very much had the "Weir" sound.
Indeed and thanks again! It did but really way too hot for my tastes.