rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

Chat about Equipment Info
 #93461  by rkubik
 Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:37 am
Has anyone used or would recommend an external boxed pre-amp like what CAE offers? I need to figure out if I want to spend the time and money to mod out my existing guitars when in the long run for me it is going to be less expensive to go with an external. But on the other hand if they suck I don't want to do that either. Any advice would be appreciated.
 #93464  by rkubik
 Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:46 am
More like an sansamp not a rack mount. I saw a CB-2 on Ebay about a month ago and it got me thinking. My soldering ability is not the best and for me to do the mods myself would be about the only way to make it less expensive. Then when I figure in the lost time of not playing and do I want to put up with the frustration level of me doing it and possibly having to redo it. I just am not sure me doing it would be the right approach to be cost effective.
 #93466  by waldo041
 Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:58 am
the onboard buffer preamp is used for the line driving capabilities from the guitar to the next device, either the amp or effects. it should be placed as closest to the pickups as possible. if you are going to use it right at the jack of the guitar, i would believe this to be the better option at getting close to that criteria. but on the floor is a waste of effort as the line going to it still will have a capacitance/resistance interaction especially with longer cables. i know they make some pretty superb cables these days, but they have not eliminated the capacitance/resistance factor yet. so there will still be the ever so slight tone adjustment of even the best cables. if you run effects in a traditional inline manner, and even one of them is not true bypass, you are already running a buffer or line driving preamp right there. sometimes though with multiple effects buffers run together you get an even more degradation of tone as the buffers mingle with themselves.

i'd definately consider running one onboard the guitar, and i am not self promoting my preamp, there are a ton out there, the cae's, emg's and even the DIY types. splicing something in there with a battery is definately worth a trial period to see/hear the benefits of what it does. even if it is in a temporary status.

peace,
waldo
 #93467  by waldo041
 Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:59 am
rkubik wrote:Has anyone used or would recommend an external boxed pre-amp like what CAE offers?
strumminsix wrote:A guitar preamp or an amplifier preamp?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

peace,
waldo
 #93470  by TI4-1009
 Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:08 am
There's a picture of it here- it's the external version of the onboard preamp.

http://www.caesound.com/cb1_spec_3.pdf
 #93471  by waldo041
 Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:16 am
pssst...

rkubik wrote:I need to figure out if I want to spend the time and money to mod out my existing guitars when in the long run for me it is going to be less expensive to go with an external.
rkubik wrote:More like an sansamp not a rack mount. I saw a CB-2 on Ebay about a month ago and it got me thinking.
peace,
waldo
Last edited by waldo041 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #93472  by rkubik
 Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:17 am
waldo041 wrote:the onboard buffer preamp is used for the line driving capabilities from the guitar to the next device, either the amp or effects. it should be placed as closest to the pickups as possible. if you are going to use it right at the jack of the guitar, i would believe this to be the better option at getting close to that criteria. but on the floor is a waste of effort as the line going to it still will have a capacitance/resistance interaction especially with longer cables. i know they make some pretty superb cables these days, but they have not eliminated the capacitance/resistance factor yet. so there will still be the ever so slight tone adjustment of even the best cables. if you run effects in a traditional inline manner, and even one of them is not true bypass, you are already running a buffer or line driving preamp right there. sometimes though with multiple effects buffers run together you get an even more degradation of tone as the buffers mingle with themselves.

i'd definately consider running one onboard the guitar, and i am not self promoting my preamp, there are a ton out there, the cae's, emg's and even the DIY types. splicing something in there with a battery is definately worth a trial period to see/hear the benefits of what it does. even if it is in a temporary status.

peace,
waldo
It is fine Waldo if you self promote. If I were to buy one or two it would be from you just from the word of mouth on this site alone and from reading your numerous posts. The belt mount from CAE is what I saw and was just curious if anyone has used one or something similar. I would assume it wouldn't be as good as something included in the guitar circuitry but could be handy if you switch guitars frequently like I do. I just keep going back to my LP and my space is going to be tight to try and fit one in on that.
 #93473  by strumminsix
 Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:02 pm
waldo041 wrote:pssst...

rkubik wrote:I need to figure out if I want to spend the time and money to mod out my existing guitars when in the long run for me it is going to be less expensive to go with an external.
rkubik wrote:More like an sansamp not a rack mount. I saw a CB-2 on Ebay about a month ago and it got me thinking.
peace,
waldo
:roll: dude, a sansamp is a guitar amp preamp.
 #97083  by jenkins
 Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:07 pm
I use the external cae line driver/booster pedal. While it's obviously not as ideal as having the ugb in your guitar it still really helps clean up my tone. I have a lot of cables so it really helps me. On my Jerry-fied les Paul I have a ugb so generally I use it as a boost, kind of like a stratoblaster. I set it at about 7-8db of boost & it really helps push my preamp just right. It helps for getting right on the edge of distortion. That way when I hit
My notes softly they sound super clean bit then I can nail em hard and get a lil dirt, Jerry style.

When I am playing my stock hollow body without a ugb, it really helps the tone. I always have it first in my signal path before going to my true bypass strip & trust me you can hear the difference with it on & off. The sound quality is just not as good without it.
If u got the loot & time you should really have a ugb installed, but the stombox version def works& it's worth buying
 #97099  by Jon S.
 Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:14 am
Axess BS-2 might work for you. It's a well-built, excellent sounding product. I owned one for a couple of years, selling it upon copping my Jerrycasters (first has a CAE buffer, 2nd a Wald Electronics buffer).

Image