#92907  by jeager

I am new to the board here though have been reading equipment discussions for a while. I know this topic has been up a few times but... I am looking at putting together a rig based on the SMS tube preamp and have been checking out the specs on the Rocktron Velocity (100 and 300) and also the ART SLA-1 studio pre. Wondering what people think about these... or other choices, there are MC250s to be had but they seem like they might be hard to keep up and lug around.

The Rocktron Vel. 300 seems like it will work well but I don't really need that much power? The Rocktron 100 on the other hand seems a little under powered...Anybody know of any other choices that work really well and don't cost a fortune...?
 #92918  by Jon S.

The beauty the Rocktron V300 is it sounds fine at any volume. You can play/practice softly AND you can crank it up damn loud at an outdoor gig. Here's a video of me with my SMS Classic Preamp into my RV300 this past summer (apologies in advance, the vocals are a stretch for me on this one - higher than my normal range - but you know how it is, no one else volunteered :p ). At the beginning, it's straight into the preamp and power amp, no effects at all (lower register rhythm line). My first lead is at 4:00, that's also got the Line 6 M13's Distortion (Pro Co Rat) model in front, distortion level almost off, volume up. I really, really dig mine. Besides my Dead band, I have another project doing indie rock, U2, Coldplay, Everclear, etc. This one easily ported unit covers it all.

#92930  by jeager

Hey thanks for the response, your rig sounds very good. I like that you managed to get that slightly overdriven sound during your solo. I think it would be great idea for people to post some sound samples of their various rigs using the Sarno CTP... perhaps recorded without a band playing/in home studio whatever... maybe I will do this when I get mine up and running... I decided to go ahead and order one.
 #92931  by Kennay

Hi jeager. I`d consider an Mc50. It`s only 18 pounds. Kind of like a bowling ball. I think the true power is about 75 watts. As loud as a twin but it also sounds pretty good at lower volumes. You can find one on ebay for about 200.00-400.00. You just have to be persistant. And the mc250 is actually just 2 mc50s. Hope this helps a little. Good luck!
 #92932  by lunasparks

jeager wrote:Hey thanks for the response, your rig sounds very good. I like that you managed to get that slightly overdriven sound during your solo. I think it would be great idea for people to post some sound samples of their various rigs using the Sarno CTP... perhaps recorded without a band playing/in home studio whatever... maybe I will do this when I get mine up and running... I decided to go ahead and order one.
Link below will take you to a couple of samples with the SMS Classic (JG mods). See the SOTF delay sample and SMS-M13 test. These clips are just me fooling around at bedroom levels, testing delays and mutron on the M13, but will give you some feel for the clean tone as well. I'll try to remember to post here if I do some really focused "SMS-specific" clips. In both of these clips it's the SMS into a Rocktron Velocity 300 (original 2 rack space version, not the newer 1u version). Line 6 M13 for effects, guitar is Am. Std. Strat (about 1989 or so, with Dimarzio Area 58 middle pickups). All through a JBL K110 (I think). Hope this helps a bit....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
 #92938  by barefootdave

Thanks for posting the clips, the SMS sounds really nice, as does the M13. I have been wanting to go with the M13, using the PODXT Live for my mutron and delays up until now. Your playing sounds great...
 #92949  by SarnoMusicSolutions

This new Crown is very interesting. It's cheap, it's loud, it's light, and it has a processor that can offer some filtering and peak limiting.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XLS1000/

Brad
 #92955  by jeager

Brad, the Crown looks nice... question, i know you have mentioned the Hafler and the Mosvalve amps. Does the Hafler have some type of peak limiting? I know this important...
There seem to be quite a few these available for very reasonable prices...
 #93351  by JTQN

jeager wrote:The Rocktron Vel. 300 seems like it will work well but I don't really need that much power? The Rocktron 100 on the other hand seems a little under powered...Anybody know of any other choices that work really well and don't cost a fortune...?
Hey Jeager,
I use that exact combo for my "Jerry rig". the Vel 300 has a ton of power and some setting adjustments to help your tone. Along with the adjustments on the SMS (front and back) I get a pristine tone and plenty of punch. Sandwiched in a 4 space SKB rack with a tuner and a Furman, it packs and carries with ease.
Hope this helps...
Jonathon
 #93352  by mkaufman

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:Interesting.

What kind of rig is Jimmy Herring using that's not a "guitar amp"? I thought he was always a tube amp guy.

Brad
Jimmy was using a Fractal when I saw him about two months ago.

mk
 #94632  by helio

I have my new SMS CTP paired with a used Mesa 50/50 and love the sounds they make together. Admittedly haven't had much time with them (got the CTP last week), but found it incredibly easy to dial in some great tone, and gigged very successfully with this setup this past weekend. The Mesa 50/50s can be found on craigslist and ebay for under $500. Great 6L6 option in a powerful but nicely simple package.
 #97844  by TI4-1009

a port opens to a parallel universe.....