rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

 #93279  by Rusty the Scoob
 Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:00 am
I broke a string on my Starfire last gig, so I thought I'd try Pyramid Flatwounds, and might as well write a review.

In short - I don't like them. The A D and G are great but the E is just thumpy and dead. It'd be perfect for Hofner-era McCartney lines, and in fact I think those are the guys who buy Pyramids these days. Phil changed his strings more than Sir Paul, I think and didn't let his E go dead. Or maybe it's just a limitation in the Hofner design... either way, if I could get four equal strings it'd be great but as it is I feel like I'd have to palm-mute the other strings to get them to match the E.

I'll be going back to TI flats asap for my short-scale flatwound needs.
 #95271  by TI4-1009
 Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:05 pm
I have them on my Rogue Hofner knock-off. They're prefect for that, really improved the Beatles sound over the stock roundwounds. There are reports that the E is sometimes dead-dead (as in defective)- if it's really bad get a replacement?
 #95296  by Rusty the Scoob
 Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:30 am
They are the perfect Beatles/Hofner strings, no doubt. I'm not sure if they're defective or by design.

It's weird, I hate the dead E at home but live I'm ok with it... it does drop a nice controllable bomb.
 #99300  by Phil Lesh101
 Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:36 am
Rusty the Scoob wrote:They are the perfect Beatles/Hofner strings, no doubt. I'm not sure if they're defective or by design.

It's weird, I hate the dead E at home but live I'm ok with it... it does drop a nice controllable bomb.
Have you ever tried ModulusStrings? :?:
 #101218  by seanc
 Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:58 pm
Phil Lesh101 wrote:
Rusty the Scoob wrote:They are the perfect Beatles/Hofner strings, no doubt. I'm not sure if they're defective or by design.

It's weird, I hate the dead E at home but live I'm ok with it... it does drop a nice controllable bomb.
Have you ever tried ModulusStrings? :?:
I have a set of pyramids on my hofner (icon). It really sounds good and feels a lot better than the crap strings that came on it.

I also did an experiment with the LaBella flats on my fender type modulus. I had used round wound on it for years. the flats really changed the sound for the better. It was an amazing transition. With the Modulus neck and Alembic pick ups the bass was always super bright. The flats instantly gave the bass more depth rolled a lot of that harshness. But I F*ed up and in the experimentation cut the G too short and ended up putting the rounds back on, for now.
 #101220  by Rusty the Scoob
 Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:27 pm
I love flats. I'm basically done with roundwounds, my few basses that still have them just don't get played anymore. But I still am not crazy about the dead E on the Pyramids... I should really switch them sometime.
 #101327  by Phil Lesh101
 Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:26 pm
I hate having slide resistance, expecially on Scarlet B. I hit a B on the E string and slide up to the higher b sounds so sick 8)
 #101341  by Rusty the Scoob
 Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:36 am
Slide resistance is a big pain... I've been struggling with it a lot this summer, especially in the sweaty, outdoor shows. I've even had to simplify some things at times. Not sure if flats are the answer, sometimes they seem better and sometimes they seem worse. But the tone is unbeatable!
 #101352  by strumminsix
 Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:15 pm
Rusty the Scoob wrote:Slide resistance is a big pain... I've been struggling with it a lot this summer, especially in the sweaty, outdoor shows. I've even had to simplify some things at times. Not sure if flats are the answer, sometimes they seem better and sometimes they seem worse. But the tone is unbeatable!
Do you ever give you strings a quick polish with some 000 steel wool?
 #101355  by zambiland
 Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:35 pm
Rusty the Scoob wrote:I love flats. I'm basically done with roundwounds, my few basses that still have them just don't get played anymore. But I still am not crazy about the dead E on the Pyramids... I should really switch them sometime.
I've gone through that, but I just put some Sunbeams on my Series I and man, what a great sound and feel! I guess seeing Stanley Clarke this spring was kind of an inspiration. Of course, my Starfire will always wear flats.
 #101657  by Rusty the Scoob
 Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:03 am
Flatwounds are a type of bass string, where the winding around the core is flat rather than round, so they're smooth rather than ridged. Pyramids are a brand of string, and most of their strings are flatwounds.
 #101665  by ugly rumor
 Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:41 pm
Then there are always D'Addario half-rounds, which is my string of choice for the last 10-12 years. Before that I used DRs mostly, except on the Steinberger I just left the stock strings there for the 8 or 10 years I owned it. Never liked its tone, but the weight was great! Now down to one bass; if it can't do it, it doesn't need to be done!