#93127  by gr8fullfred

First part B major

Second part E major

I might not be exactly right, but I look forward to the responses,Fred
 #93130  by strumminsix

Why did you repost this? I moved your first to the "Scarlet Begonias" forum since this has nothing to do with GD equipment or Jerry's tone.
 #93142  by myoung6923

It's perfectly a B mixolydian - everything works exactly right within just that one mode.

Of course, you can throw in all of the arpeggios (they also fit into that same B mixolydian).

Here's a vid of us doing it... The solo starts at 3:08 - and it's all B mixolydian

#93146  by Imagined Days

Thanks myoung! Sounds good man! And, Stumminsix, Sorry, after I posted it I couldn't see it, thought it got screwed up, so thats why I posted again. Yeah, all's good!
 #93150  by strumminsix

Imagined Days wrote:Thanks myoung! Sounds good man! And, Stumminsix, Sorry, after I posted it I couldn't see it, thought it got screwed up, so thats why I posted again. Yeah, all's good!
Ahhh, very cool! This site has so many talented folk (myoung & billbill in this example) I think it's important that the info is together where folks can find it!

Seems like SB is not clicking for ya! AWESOME!!!
 #93176  by SarnoMusicSolutions

B-mixolydian the whole time...

No room there for "B-major". That's quite an ugly clash with the A-chord that dictates the "flatted 7th" or mixolydian factor.

One thing I notice with Jerry in Scarlet (and in general) is that while he's definitely thinking in modes, he's playing off of chord shapes quite a bit. Scarlet is full of him moving thru little chord shapes and playing the notes of the shape and any other easily reached or hammered on/off or pulled-off notes that are in the mode. Sticking close to chord shapes helped Jerry sound melodic and not like a guy noodling in scales or modes. Big difference. By working off the chord shapes, the result naturally spells out the chords and sounds like pure melody, which it is. I see SO many Jerry pickers getting stuck moving around in scale positions without necessarily playing notes that spell out the chord happening at any given moment. That scale'y sound is very boring to the listener, and really isn't melodic. When on the B-chord, mostly (but not entirely) play the notes that make up the B chord. Same goes for all the chords in the song, play the notes of the chord at hand while still keeping B-mixolydian in mind when playing notes not in the chord.

B
 #93186  by Imagined Days

Sorry for posting this in the wrong area, but I just realized that I actually do only play B mixo the whole time, and that I need to practice around the triad notes of each chord. Cool! Thanks everyone!

Chris
 #93188  by strumminsix

Sorry. "Seems like SB is not clicking for ya! AWESOME!!!"
Should be "Seems like SB is noW clicking for ya! AWESOME!!!"

sorry.