#93021  by oldjoebones

Need some advise if you are able....

Currently have started back up playing the last 6 months after being away for awhile. Now that I'm older I appreciate the aspect of the guitar.

Currently playing an American Deluxe Strat. I have always been a fan of bob's playing style and I have begun to dig into its mechanics and intricacies. Problem is I have smaller hands and the Strat neck thickness (not fret width too much) may be limiting my hand stretch specifically my pinky when trying to hit a root note on the 5th string of a chord

I know his style mainly contributes to his sound and I have been looking for a neck thickness that is not as wide as the strat. I did find (but have not tried) an Ibanez S5470. It has a neck thickness if 17mm at the 1st fret and 19mm at the 12th. I know its mainly classified as a "shredder guitar" but Im thinking this would help me be able to stretch my hands a little better as the neck is not as thick. It would need different pickups Im sure but not sure what I would need if I went this route.

Any advise, criticism or otherwise is appreciated.
 #93022  by mkaufman

A vintage Ibanez Artist (a great Bobby guitar) has a scale length on 24.75", rather than the 25.5" Strat scale length. I find that makes a difference with my small hands, especially when barring low down on the neck (ie: F7 chord).

The Ibanez Musican has 24 frets, so the frets are closer together too.

Options...

mk
 #93023  by dleonard

A dude I jam with sometimes gets some really nice Bobby tone out of a Gretsch. Not sure of the model but he said it was $300
 #93024  by tigerstrat

They make strat replacement necks in a number of different profiles. I'm guessing your is a "C" - you might try a "V". Check Mighty Mite, All Parts...
 #93026  by strumminsix

tigerstrat wrote:They make strat replacement necks in a number of different profiles. I'm guessing your is a "C" - you might try a "V". Check Mighty Mite, All Parts...
+1

But get the shredder if it fits you best. Swap out the pickups for something more PAF sounding and you are set. My old #1 was a Jackson Solosist SLSMG which is a total shredder and I replaced the pickups for Pearly gates with trisound mini toggles and I'm in the Bobby zone all day.
 #93027  by oldjoebones

mkaufman wrote:A vintage Ibanez Artist (a great Bobby guitar) has a scale length on 24.75", rather than the 25.5" Strat scale length. I find that makes a difference with my small hands, especially when barring low down on the neck (ie: F7 chord).

The Ibanez Musican has 24 frets, so the frets are closer together too.

Options...

mk
Scale width may have a little bit to do with it but I dont normally have that big an issue going lengthwise is more of a width reach issue.
 #93028  by oldjoebones

tigerstrat wrote:They make strat replacement necks in a number of different profiles. I'm guessing your is a "C" - you might try a "V". Check Mighty Mite, All Parts...
I will investigate the "V" style.
 #93029  by oldjoebones

strumminsix wrote:
+1

But get the shredder if it fits you best. Swap out the pickups for something more PAF sounding and you are set. My old #1 was a Jackson Solosist SLSMG which is a total shredder and I replaced the pickups for Pearly gates with trisound mini toggles and I'm in the Bobby zone all day.
Going to go to Guitar Center to see if I can find one and test the neck on the Ibanez. 17mm is real thin compared to my strat whixh is like 22.5mm.

What is PAF?
 #93030  by strumminsix

PAF = patent applied for, which is basically saying an old school low-medium output humbucker.

I'd look into Jacksons. VERY thin necks or maybe an SG!
 #93033  by alcorelectric

VERY thin necks or maybe an SG!
My SG has a neck lick a baseball bat.
I think the "shredder style" is the way to go.
I have an old Peavey from the 80s that has High Output Single coils, very thin neck and a splittable HB in the bridge.
The only thing I dont like about it is the color.
Also, I have a Heritage cm150 (les paul style) that has a very thin neck, but the stock PUs were terrible.
Above is the cm150
T
 #93034  by JonnyBoy

TS and Strum and Alco are right, you can get a new neck a lot easier and cheaper since the strat is a bolt on.

I have to second the "Shredder" profile, I love my Fender Showmaster, set up SSS just like a traditional strat but no pick guard and flamed maple top over mahogany, I can fly around on that thing due to its heavy metal nature. Arpeggios, scales and complicated chords are much easier to tackle with this guitar. I got it for a reasonable price($400) too from a retailer, and the pickups added another $200. The only reason it moved out of my #1 spot is due to the pickup power and arrangement, I am fond of my "Rosebud" style guitar and its tone right now having the 3 humbuckers. It drives my amp much better then the singles in the showmaster.

As for the pickup arrangement of what you have, I think most of any guitarists sound is in their hands anyway. Bobby played so many different configs and guitars, any guitar would work with good rig settings, imo.