#92789  by rugger

What things are listed for on Ebay is not always a good indicator of fair price or what people are actually paying.

What should I expect to pay for a 250?

John in San Diego
 #92791  by Pete B.

I recently bought one for $500 including shipping.
 #92848  by mijknahs

Pete,

I assume you've preamped the Dual Showman through the MC250. How would you describe the sound of the McIntosh vs. the sound of the Fender tube power section? (sorry if you've already described this in a earlier thread)

Jim
 #92850  by Pete B.

The Mac sounds way more like Jerry tone to my ear.
Like a secret ingredient I thought I would never get.
There's a syrup-ee "blurp-ee-ness" in the Mac that I don't hear from a straight Twin Reverb style rig.
My observations include, The 7th string on my 7-sting guitars never sounded so good. Also, when I hit the strings really hard, there is no ice pick treble-factor, it just all sounds nice and smooth and even.
 #92852  by JonnyBoy

I gt mine around that, $450 plus ship I think. Pete's was worked on by Brad I think too, which was well worth the dough. I have to agree the Mac has a special sound to it unlike other amps, especially solid state amps. I wouldn't pay more than $550 unless it was completely updated by a registered dealer.
 #92853  by rugger

Any real benefits of the 2505 over the 250?

John in San Diego
 #92854  by mijknahs

Pete, thanks for that descriptive confirmation. I just want to make sure it's not all "in my head". That's exactly what I think and you described it better than I could. Love the "blurp-ee-ness"! Are you using JBLs too? Those really shine with the Macs. Especially when pushed.

John - The 2505 is the same amp but more fragile due to the glass face plate. Also the 2505 doesn't have a mono/stereo switch so you can't bridge the channels to get a combined 100 watts. I'd recommend the 250 and they're cheaper too.

Jim
 #92860  by rugger

Thanks for the input Jim. I was looking at both models on ebay and they're both hovering around $450 which got me intrigued. With your input I think I'll stick with the 250, plus smaller is better for me.

John in San Diego
 #92868  by tdub

I believe I got mine for about $345, but I had it cleaned and a few screws replaced, examined, etc and that was another 90 bucks all said and done. Very happy with it. Great sound, reliable and sweet combined with the SMS.
 #92876  by JonnyBoy

A word to the wise, they are very heavy relative to rack SS amps, and they are cumbersome to move and gig with. I have to make special trips from the car to the stage with it for instance. It does get old to do that, but still worth it to get the tone. My Mc50 was ideal for most of the places I play, but it did begin to have issues moving it about so much 2-3 times a week, it took a tumble off a dolly, not even a foot fall. if those amps fall, its a lot of weight to damage something in those 40 year old amps. That is my only issue, again I still think its worth it for the tone. I just wish I could, (which I could if I took the time), put it into a chassis and rack mount it.

Plus, if I ever had to change amps on the fly, the wires hook up around screw terminals while all my backup amps are 1/4 inch outs. Again something that could be remedied with some novel modifications... It is my secrete weapon tone wise, no other amp I have sounds as nice and harmonic in conjunction with the Twins preamp.