#91465  by jmfranc

I've looked everywhere but can't find a list of the most common Jerry songs and what effects are being used in the song.

Some alphabetical list with something like "Dist+/Mutron/Phase" or similar would be a huge help to a novice like me. Anyone want to tackle one? Please?
 #91468  by TI4-1009

A list like that would help me too- even just a starter list.
 #91469  by lunasparks

Allow me to chime in with a related request: What kind of settings for various effects do folks have dialed in (or what Jerry had dialed in)? The Mutron is actually not bad to find out since there are some pretty clear pictures showing knob positioning. I'm currently trying to dial in some Jerry effects with the Line 6 M13 and between the existing Mutron pics (and more than a little help from Jon S. :-) ) I'm now getting some usable tones.

I think it would be useful to repeat this kind of exercise with some of the other effects like OC-2, Distortion+ (I know there are at least some visible pics of the knobs for the Boss drives/distortions but more general advice on preferred settings couldn't hurt...could at least getting an effects noob like me off the ground....
 #91473  by Chuckles

The thing about looking for dial settings (and I certainly have done a lot of that myself) is that it's gonna vary from one rig to another. Even identical rigs are going to sound subtly different. But, if I have my pedals set to the same settings as someone else, I've found that either the pups or the amp or the pick attack have made them all sound different. Gotta go with your own thing, IMHO.

Perfect example is the Emma envelope I've been using. Couldn't dial it in at first, so I asked for settings here - and folks were certainly kind enough to share. But... none of it worked for me. I ultimately had to put in the time to make it work with my specific rig, and the settings were nothing like what folks had suggested.

Just sayin'...
 #91484  by myoung6923

That's really a tall order to list all the songs and what effects were used. I'd venture to say that a large part of the time jerry just had a clean sound. Guitar & reverb - maybe delay from the mid 70's or so on.

Specific songs used specific effects which varied from year to year and show to show.

But - really, there's only a few effects that jerry really used at all - phaser, distortion, mutron and octave. If you have these effects, spend some time playing with them and experimenting with different settings. In time you'll get to know them all pretty well and you'll be able to hear which one is being used. It'sjust a matter of time and experience.

I also find that I need to adjust things from room to room also. Each room has it's own EQ and natural reverb and I end up adjusting accordingly.
 #91485  by jmfranc

OK - yes EVERY song would not be needed. BUT - can we possibly just list the songs that have effects? I'd love a list with just songs that include effects. If it's not on the list then assume it's Jerry playing clean. Think this is possible?
 #91487  by lunasparks

jmfranc wrote:OK - yes EVERY song would not be needed. BUT - can we possibly just list the songs that have effects? I'd love a list with just songs that include effects. If it's not on the list then assume it's Jerry playing clean. Think this is possible?
Link below is to a thread from a couple of months ago that gets at when some of the rarer effects are used.

forum/viewtopic.php?f=419&t=9107&hilit=garcia+effects
 #91489  by tigerstrat

myoung6923 wrote:That's really a tall order to list all the songs and what effects were used. I'd venture to say that a large part of the time jerry just had a clean sound. Guitar & reverb - maybe delay from the mid 70's or so on.
the delay appears to have been the last effect added to his pedal chain

years the fx debuted, by my reckoning:
1969: insect fear :lol:
1970: wah
1976: Mu-Tron III, Mu-Tron Octave, and MXR Phase 100
1977: OBEL
1978... or 79? cannot recall: MXR Distortion +
1979: MXR Delay, and remote switching.
 #91514  by TI4-1009

I have absolutely nothing of value to add, just gratuitously looking to grab the first post of the year. And while I'm off topic, the Sirius "broadcast" of the Further New Years show last night really sucked- big time.
 #91603  by TI4-1009

"OK, let me make this easy for you." (-Jack Nicholson in Five Easy Pieces)

Suppose we ask specific questions and you guys answer them? I can start-

Where could we find classic examples of Jerry using:

Delay (later on in Looks Like Rain?)

Phaser

Octave Divider?
 #91844  by TI4-1009

Just listening to an UJB from '91. What's the "electronicy" effect in the jam?
 #91859  by tigerstrat

TI4-1009 wrote:Just listening to an UJB from '91. What's the "electronicy" effect in the jam?
You might have to give us a date or archive link for a specific answer, but I would suspect a MIDI patch.