#88398  by JonnyBoy

Those would work very well if you don't care about the look and exact measurements of Jerr's cabs. The 3/4 pine can bow or split if you don't finish them well, plywood is composite laminate so it doesn't warp and split as easy. For home and light gigging those sound ideal. I made a 1x12 cab out of some 3/4 roofing ply and it is one of the best cabs I have ever played through. It is light, sturdy and if it does break it cost under $30 to make. I would go for the box that looks good for the best price, they are all boxes ya know. Unless looking just like Jerry is something you crave in your presentation..
 #88399  by lunasparks

JB - so I would need to finish it with stain or tung oil (or something) in order to guard against problems? Not that this is problem for me, just clueless and want to confirm I'm understanding correctly. Full disclosure: I have basically no woodworking experience! :-)
 #88723  by lunasparks

Update: I pulled the trigger on this ebay cab. Obviously not the Jerry specs provided by the cab makers on here, but for my budget and my music room it looks like it'll do the trick. If picture upload works you'll see the cab with my K120s. Seller defaults to rear-loaded speakers but gave me no extra charge for setting it up for front-loading.
 #90497  by modz

lunasparks wrote:JB - so I would need to finish it with stain or tung oil (or something) in order to guard against problems? Not that this is problem for me, just clueless and want to confirm I'm understanding correctly. Full disclosure: I have basically no woodworking experience! :-)
Go to Home Depot or lowes and get cans of spray Lacquer. I would get a can of sealer and a can of lacquer in either satin or gloss. One is called sanding sealer. Spray a thin coat and sand to knock the bumps down. Use 800 to 1000 grit sand paper. It only takes a little pressure sanding then feel it with your hands and any rough spots sand it lightly. Spray, sand, spray, sand, spray, sand, spray, sand and you will get a furniture grade appearance. Light sanding!!!!
The cab turned out real nice! Congrads.
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?par ... &cId=PDIO1
 #90521  by Pete B.

Here's the 2x12 cab I picked up locally a few years ago. Close enough for me!
It's pine. I have the speakers held in with wing-nuts and lock washers (I used long Carriage screws thru the front, then on the backside there is a Delrin spacer touching the speaker frame, then a normal washer, then a lock washer, then a wingnut), which makes for super easy "no tools requiered" speaker swaps (although in my case I swap 'em in/out just for fun tests and try outs, not cuz I blow 'em on stage).
The original speakers, EV SRO's, were front loaded, but the E120's in there now would not fit all the way into the cutout, so I have them rear loaded.
 #91461  by schmidtz

I also bought one of the cabs from this guy. I finished it in some nice Oak stain and some poly. It is absolutely gorgeous. I'm using it in my Mesa rig with some vintage Celestion G12T's. It sounds amazing, if I do say so myself.

Here is a link to his actual website:
http://www.trmguitarcabs.com/

The guy is super nice, he would probably work with someone to build a hard trucker type cab.
 #91836  by lunasparks

lunasparks wrote:Update: I pulled the trigger on this ebay cab. Obviously not the Jerry specs provided by the cab makers on here, but for my budget and my music room it looks like it'll do the trick. If picture upload works you'll see the cab with my K120s. Seller defaults to rear-loaded speakers but gave me no extra charge for setting it up for front-loading.
Could anyone suggest good/correct handles for my cab? My dad has a router so I can install some on each side, but not not sure about size, depth, correct build, etc. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks!
 #91845  by jdsmodulus

all of the ususal suspects sell these. I bought mine at US Speaker. Just do a search for speaker handles and you'll see the world. I dont think there is a "correct" handle simply because Hard Trucker cabs typically didnt have them. The "new" versions do and you can spec those from their website. Hope that helps.
 #91906  by lunasparks

jdsmodulus wrote:all of the ususal suspects sell these. I bought mine at US Speaker. Just do a search for speaker handles and you'll see the world. I dont think there is a "correct" handle simply because Hard Trucker cabs typically didnt have them. The "new" versions do and you can spec those from their website. Hope that helps.
Thanks. I found something that looks okay and went ahead and ordered.