#90505  by TI4-1009

I just found this little gem on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JYXm0Mp ... re=related
 #91407  by TI4-1009

#91410  by Pete B.

Ya gotta bend your ear to hear the tune, but.. 'looks like he's playing the intro to Lazy Lightnin' out of a CMaj7 position.

Update: Since acquiering the MC250 I'm now using my Dual Showman Reverb with the 1x10" cab as my Jer-tone Bedroom Rig.
 #91809  by TI4-1009

I asked Weber about their suggestion for a speaker that has the JBL E120 and would "work" at low power, bedroom amp levels. They recommended their 12F125.
 #91811  by barefootdave

Your best bet to get good tone at low volume is a modeling amp like the GDEC or Line6. Even a 6w champ is too loud for a bedroom when you crank it to get decent tone. Another good option is to get a POD and run it through your regular stereo system or computer speakers, assuming you have a decent set of computer speakers w a small sub. I used to do it that way and was very happy.

I have a Line 6 SpiderJam at home now, and really like it. Lots of fun backing tracks (recorded by actual studio pros) mp3 input that I route to the headphone jack of my laptop to jam with the shows on my external HD or with YouTube. It's easy to adjust the guitar volume to match the backing tracks or the stuff coming off the computer. It works well at rehearsal, has built in effects and tap delay, looping, etc. It's $400 however, the GDEC is around $300. Best value is a used POD for around $100 and run as stated above.

For performances, nothing will do (for me) but real tubes turned up loud (currently playing a Dr. Z) but at home I don't use anything but digital modeling at low volume.
 #91812  by barefootdave

By the way, regarding the Weber recommendation: I have an early 60s Gibson Skylark (essentially a 6w champ) with a Weber 10F150, very similar to the 12F125 mentioned above. Frickin FABULOUS tone but again, too loud in my opinion for "bedroom" jamming. Tone to die for, though.
 #91815  by TI4-1009

OK, here's what I'm working with. I have a Vox AD120VT modeling amp and a Fender Champ 12. I usually use the Vox on the "Black 2x12" setting (Twin), but it has about 15 other amp models, including a tweed 12 and a tweed 4 x 10. It has four power settings, and for practice in the house I usually have it on the lowest- 1 watt (!). It has an effects loop.

The Champ is a late 80's red knob with the PCB circuit board (yup, the one with the ugly distortion "channel"). I've done the Torres red knob mod on it and put in a Celestion Vintage 30 speaker.

Both of these are carryovers from previous lives before I got finnaly got serious about getting down to "the tone". I've played guitar on and off for 40+ years, my first Dead show was Woodstock followed by 70 odd shows, but "late in life" I've rekindled my interest in actually playing Dead material. I currently have a Fender tele (I added a Warmouth body and Callaham bridge), my upgraded electronics Jay Turser 335 knock off (surprisingly good value for the money), a Hofner bass knockoff, and an old Yamaha acoustic. I just sold my Ric 360/12 and am converting that into a Phiga Tiger- ready later this year. All are leftys.

My Qtron+ and Boss EQ arrived yesterday, and much to my surprise I was impressed more with what the EQ could do for tone than the funky fun Qtron stuff.

So I guess you could put me in the "long time listener, first time caller" category :wink: But, back on topic, I'm still looking to get a small rig that gets me close on tone. If what I have can't be modded to get me there I'll move on to something that can. No plans for playing out, just playing for the enjoyment.
 #91821  by schmidtz

TI4-1009 wrote: to my surprise I was impressed more with what the EQ could do for tone than the funky fun Qtron stuff.
Honestly, I picked up a Boss EQ and I am floored what some tinkering will do for my tone... Probably more happy with it than my SF Twin. :lol:

But, back to the discussion... :roll:
 #95020  by wrathfuldeity

Guitar >

vox tonelab tt……>

Right channel > tc electronic nr1 > se 6L6 (old 50’s Bogen VP12 tube record player) > 8”cts alnico….big open warm side.

Left channel > old 1949 Bogen PH10…monoblock right in the phase inverter (pp 6V6 sans preamp….tonelab is the preamp)…its like a small tube power amp > 8” FR ceramic….articulate and really livens up the cab/spkr and fx sims.

Wet/dry mishmash ghetto rig of old used bits. The volume on the amps act a master volume and the tonelab has enough options and sims as the preamp. This Jerry rig sounds pretty great at low volume and can get loud enough…but if more volume or headroom is needed, just switch out to 1x12 cabs with a weber 12 ceramic Silver Bell and a weber 12A150. The dual rig seems to push enough air, gives the perception of a fairly full stage and imho the combination of warm and articulate is the cats meow.
 #117326  by Friesman

I agree with Johnny Boy- My G-dec-30 in blackface setting with Jer settings is perfect for bedroom

My ultimate bedroom and small club recording set up however is Emery Superbaby Amp with SMS Classic- The superbaby is 50 tube amps in one - at 6-12 watts (depending on the tubes) it self biases to adjust to tons of tubes.

I can go from the sms to the superbaby and only use the superbaby as a power amp only with big fender tubes and get huge Jerry tone without the coliseum volume.

Or, play direct into the superbaby and have endless amount of tube options-not cheap, but totally worth it..

http://www.emerysound.com/Superbaby.html

tx,
friesman
 #117329  by tigger

Using a Fender Mustang I - 65 Twin model with virtual octave and envelope filter pedals. You need to hook it up to a computer to tweak the presets effectively (no mid control on the amp itself) but it's a hell of a bargain.
 #120089  by Tone

Do people (retailers) respond to every post with fanboy equip replies that have nothing to do with the original post?

This board is a joke, goodbye.