#90686  by MeAndMyUncle

Tennessee Jedi wrote:Hey Klaus - Do you play Dead over there ? Is it hard to find players ?
Happy Holi-daze Bro
:D
Hi Jedi,
yes, there are some guys in germany playing Dead.
Unfortunately I don't know any close to my location (munich) yet, but I will start searching.

Inbetween I got original Ibanez Tri-Sound switches from the german Ibby distributor. Pretty expensive (one is 24 EUR) but perfect.
Between the years I hope to find time, to rewire my Oakland.

Klaus
 #90758  by ampegbassplayer1969

Are any of you guys using an onboard Pre-amps or EQ's on your cowboys or other Weir inspired guitars? I found a nice used Ibanez artist reissue at my local guitar center that I might be using for the build, but it is a base model.

EDIT: Could an onboard EQ be taken out of an acoustic guitar and modded to work for a solid body?
 #90762  by strumminsix

ampegbassplayer1969 wrote:Are any of you guys using an onboard Pre-amps or EQ's on your cowboys or other Weir inspired guitars? I found a nice used Ibanez artist reissue at my local guitar center that I might be using for the build, but it is a base model.

EDIT: Could an onboard EQ be taken out of an acoustic guitar and modded to work for a solid body?
I don't since I like the simplicity of passive pickups. To your second question If I wanted something onboard I'd grab the BYOC para-eq pedal that I like and go that route.
 #90782  by ampegbassplayer1969

Thanks for your answers Strummin and MK!

So I found two pretty cheap Artist reissues. One is a Black 2004 artist AR200 with a Dan Armstrong Anico JB bridge pick-up, including a hardshell case that I might be able to pick up for around $200. If I were to get this guitar, I may take the paint off the top of the guitar and refinish it, likely with a dark stain. If not, I could settle with the black finish.

At a local guitar center I found a 1998 Artist AR250 with a bright flame top (yellow looking with an orange burst), but has a DiMarzio PAF Pro and DiMarzio ToneZone installed and Coil-tapped, and also a hard shell case for $299. In this case, I don't really care for the finish of the guitar but I could possibly sell the PAF Pro and ToneZone to pay for my Virtual PAF's, (Might be able to get $80-100 for them?), and the push/pull pots are already installed in the guitar. Call me crazy, but the flame top is what really turns me off about the guitar, but I'm certainly going for the BUDGET BUILD.

My grandfather has a massive woodshop where I could do all of the routing and finishing, so that is one benefit.

What would you guys go for in this situation? 8)

Thanks
 #90805  by strumminsix

The new artists are different from the old artists. I'd suggest thinking twice about buying to strip & stain. I've seen UGLY wood choices under painted guitars.

I find it much easier to get good Bobby tones with non full humbuckers. I've got a new guitar with mini hums that is super easy for a big pallet of tones but also singles in my Strat style Modulus and my parts-Telecaster and I find those 3 guitars easier to sound like 70s Bobby...

Dozin did a helluva job with his Strat with humbuckers, IIRC
 #90807  by jdsmodulus

I agree about the Ibanez Artist. If you can, hold out for a 70s model. Tri-sound is the key. You can find these but they are going to be in the 800-1200 range. This is already pretty close to a Cowboy. Coil taps and a single and your there. But I also agree again with Strum about not needing the real deal to get there. If it was me building it I would go with pre 1980 Artist/Musician and mod it. Search old threads and you will see some folks with budget Bob guitars that are pretty incredible. Its not all about how much you spend on the guitar, but hold out is long as you can. Save!!!!!Ramble over!!! :lol:
 #90817  by ampegbassplayer1969

So what is it that you guys don't like about the new Artists? I know they're not the original, nor anywhere near the same build quality, but they seem to be a decent guitar for the price. To me it looked like those guitars were a steal. I'm a college student and I'm on a tight budget, so that rules out purchasing a late 70's or 80's model for a few years. I'm pleased with what I can do with my Ibanez Artcore for the early 70's Bobby, but now I'm really looking for the late 70's sound.
 #90829  by jdsmodulus

there is nothing wrong with the new Artists, they are just not the Japanese quality that was present in the 70s. Purely mojo.
 #90831  by JonnyBoy

Leave it to Ibanez to build guitars that could be Knock off dead guitars, not exactly Bobs blue modulus but maybe close, who knows haven't played it....

#90833  by Dozin

I have one of these. The tuning is all over the place. If i break a string its unplayable. That's why i like the graphite rod in my guitar.
 #90834  by JonnyBoy

I have to keep reminding myself I own plenty of cheap guitars, the goal here for me is to have a custom made eventually.

To stick close to the thread here, my favorite is my part together rosebud. Never tried a Cowboy. I guess you get what you pay for in the guitar world, but there are some really good guitars on the low price out there to work with, and it seems like with the technology they have today they could be doing this more often than not with the new modern versions. I would have to guess though, that blue ibanez guitar would sound nice with some awesome pickups, a better nut and better tuners, for being non graphite....

I have a hard time not thinking these mass produced guitars are hit and miss, since some planks of wood are stronger than others, and they don't discriminate from the poorer quality wood when they build, They just grab the next piece and go with it. So it is actually quite possible to get an inferior version and a superior version. Almost impossible to tell... and that's what makes it a gamble for $400 bucks.
 #90844  by jdsmodulus

Yo JB here is something to think about. That blue Ibanez is nothing like a custom built Modulus! There is a reason why guitars cost more than others. Think of a Gibson Les Paul. Order one of these (very commonly used pro guitar) and its gonna start at 2500 and go up from there. You could easily spend 4000 on a GLP. Now think of an Epiphone Les Paul. Looks similar feels similar and only costs 500. There simply is no comparison. This is why you dont see Pros using an Epi. Not included there endorsers. Im well aware of what John Lennon played. Im just trying to get you to think outside the box here. There is nothing wrong with playing affordable guitars. I Have a few myself. Squires, PRS SE, and Ive owned Epi SGs and a slew of others. Buy what you can afford and enjoy playing that is what really matters. :cool:
 #90861  by ampegbassplayer1969

Dozin wrote:I have one of these. The tuning is all over the place. If i break a string its unplayable. That's why i like the graphite rod in my guitar.
You have the AS93? I have the AS73 which is the exact same thing except with dot inlays and a cherry finish, and I love it. I've never had this problem!
JonnyBoy wrote: I have a hard time not thinking these mass produced guitars are hit and miss, since some planks of wood are stronger than others, and they don't discriminate from the poorer quality wood when they build, They just grab the next piece and go with it. So it is actually quite possible to get an inferior version and a superior version. Almost impossible to tell... and that's what makes it a gamble for $400 bucks.
I never thought of it that way, I've just had pretty good luck with my cheap guitars (knock on wood), haha!
 #90928  by alcorelectric

As far as sound is concerned you may want to look at the Ibanez ST300 and change out the Pus to dimarzios virtual pafs
Maple neck
ash body
tri sounds

HTH
T