#90561  by jdsmodulus

I searched for this but maybe someone can help. For years I have known not to put tubes by a TV (television) I have an older model Sharp TV. Not HD. after loading gear in the house today I stacked my Trio and RT Reverb and solid state amp. These were in a 6 space case. I just set them on top of a roadcase that was next to the TV. Now the TV after several hours turned pink and green. Its not getting better after I realized what had happened. Moved the rack and Cab away from the TV. :?

So here is the more important part...I dont care if the TV comes back to normal but are my tubes fried? Im in my house and its too late here to fire up the amp and just see so I thought I would ask opinions! Any thoughts? Thanks
 #90563  by dleonard

same thing happened to me. i only let it last 30 seconds or so before i realized but the tubes were and still are fine, and that was 3 years ago
 #90565  by jdsmodulus

this was at least 4-5 hours only the TV on for about 2!
 #90568  by tcsned

yeah, I was going to say that Rat - I had a tv with my home theater speakers too close and it took me a while to figure out why the picture was funky in the corners where the speakers were. I moved them and it cleared up. Magnets are bad mojo for a picture tube.
 #90591  by WilliamC

If you have an older TV with a picture tube there may be a degaussing button on the back panel (possibly recessed). If the TV makes a "poing" sound when you turn it on, that's an automatic degausser in action. Either the botton or a power cycle should clear up the distortion. If not, google something like "how to degauss a TV".

If tubes had a problem in TVs how did TVs work "back in the day"?
 #90592  by jdsmodulus

Update! The TV went back to normal. (although I dont consider the TV normal) and the rig started right up took a few minutes to warm up and everything is cool. Thank you for your input! :peas: