name, city, instrument, years of playing, current band, gear
 #90202  by tiffcheese

Alright well... It wasn't my intention to stick around and enjoy a new message board for long, for my own reasons. Pretty hard to not enjoy this one. Seriously, I just keep learning and learning, laughing and learning. It's a nice community, seemingly, so 'kudos'.

I've been playing guitar for 10 years. Mostly acoustic, strumming and singing around the campfire kind of stuff, although I find it fairly simple to listen and follow leads well. I've had a few electrics: Fender Squier (blech), an Ibanez hollowbody, and now have a Les Paul Standard. Basically I've been keeping only an acoustic and an electric around so that I can study each and allow the voice of each guitar to develop and come out in its own time. I've got a Fender Acoustasonic amp that has served well for practicing to perform at open mics, but honestly I haven't used it in quite some time as I've been preferring just the guitars and me in a room with some time.

Personally I'm a 37 year old female and have no idea if I'll ever aspire to perform out again... my open mic experiences were less than thrilling. I do love live music though, more than almost anything that's come into my lifetime. Recently got rid of my effects pedals (and almost the LP) in frustration, but have found a nice peaceful center so I'm at it again...Although the fact that the live music arena is so incredibly male-dominated is daunting.

So that's me. Hello. Tiffany Heath from New Britain CT
 #90203  by Billbbill

Hey - welcome.

I was literally about 20 years between my last band and current band. :-)

All the while I kept playing, singing and learning. I suppose you never know when inspiration will move you...brightly. :smile:

We play Fairfield from time to time. Still a bit of a haul for you but come stop by if you're so moved.
 #90204  by tiffcheese

More often than not I'm up for a roadtrip on the weekend, so thanks for the invite and hope to catch your band sooner or later :-)
 #90212  by strumminsix

Welcome aboard, Tiff! It's good to have ya! Be sure to stick around!

My Fender Acoustasonic Jr was one of my smartest purchases!

There are many here who prefer: guitar > cable > amp. Hell, I recently did a gig where I did just that with a Pro Jr. Not even reverb!

PSA: when I call folks "dude", it's gender neutral :lol:
 #90215  by strumminsix

Oh, and good on you for using SEARCH.
 #90217  by DeadAheadNH

strumminsix wrote:Welcome aboard, Tiff! It's good to have ya! Be sure to stick around!
PSA: when I call folks "dude", it's gender neutral :lol:
Hi Tiff!! ... hey that's a good point ... how many Dudettes are there on this board ??? Enough for an all woman tribute show with a dude singing BU or otherwise twirling near the piano ??
:lol:
 #90282  by tiffcheese

an all-women tribute is funny, but also brings up a recurring thought of mine: I'll be playing and singing, and certain songs I really feel won't be well-received being sung by a female, namely hard hitting Dead tunes. On the flipside optimistic tip: One or two of the tunes I sing move even ME to the point that I know someday they'll be received well. All in all it's about enjoying yourself, so no biggie...just recurring thoughts I figured I'd share. I don't see too many singing, guitar playing women, so I figure it can't hurt to get my ideas out there and blaze a path :smile:
 #90283  by tiffcheese

p.s. I use the word 'dude' prolly as much as y'all
 #90288  by tcsned

Welcome aboard Tiffany - it's good to see a woman out there doing this stuff. My band has a woman playing rhythm/Bobby parts and singing lead on a bunch of tunes that are "guy songs" - my wife sings in the band as well and sings a few Jerry tunes too. I think it's cool - some "guy" songs are better with a girl singer IMHO - Led Zep tunes for example since there are few guys who can do Robert Plant justice. Plus, girls signing songs about girls doesn't get the sideways looks that a guy would signing "My Guy" or something like that :shock: (not that there's anything wrong with that either)

I would encourage you to get out there and play if you love doing it. If you don't like the solo performing thing, find someone to play with. Open mics are tough - not much time to get warmed up and usually such a diversity of performers that you don't get to play for a friendly crowd. Maybe try getting an opening set or finding a Dead band to sit in and play a few songs with. If you love it, please keep at it!

WELCOME!!
 #90289  by Tennessee Jedi

Good luck and welcome !
If you ever come to PA and wanna jam we would love to have ya down.
:smile:
 #90314  by jeffm725

hey tiff........you made it :-)