#90133  by jmfranc

Cash is really low but am thinking of building the Jer setup for the office. Don't need the power of a twin reverb silverface but I could use a 70's silverface Champ - will this sort of get me there at the lower wattage? Or should I totally avoid it? It's pretty loud for 6 watts...
 #90135  by tigerstrat

strumminsix wrote:My first inclination would be for a Princeton Reverb. Not for the wattage but for the reverb.
+1. A Princeton Reverb (or the RI if you must) is imho the perfect low wattage plug-n-play amp to put you in the right section of the ballpark. Any of the lower wattage tube Fenders with reverb will do pretty nicely. Super Champs are similar but 50% more wattage (2x 6V6), with channel-switching you may or may not want, and the somewhat unfortunate inclusion of the harder-to-find 6C10 tube. There are so many new low-watt amps on the market I would be tempted to try out several of them out at the stores.
 #90136  by jmfranc

It's just that the Princeton Reverb puts me in the $1000+ range. Looking for something old for aroudd $300.
 #90139  by jmfranc

Anyone here use the vibro champ? It's missing the "mid" tone range knob. Just bass and treble. Looks like it could be a nice little vintage amp. 5 watts enough to sound loud in an office? I would still need a reverb right?
 #90141  by CoolBreeze

I have to respectfully put my vote in for the Fender Champ- my 79 is the first, and only- amp I have ever felt comfortable with that had no reverb. And when times got tough- and everything equipment-wise had to go- that was the one that stayed- along with my 68 Champ.

That said- I was playing through a Strat-type setup with single coils. If you have a Jerrified ax of some sort, or humbuckers- that may be a whole different ballgame.

But for bedroom/basement/office setups- you may be surprised by the Fender Champ (or Champ-amp).

Best of luck- no matter which way you go!
Bruce
 #90145  by JonnyBoy

I'll say it again, go try a Gdec 30 for LOW VOLUME. You can Tweak it into whatever your hear desires. A/B'd it all day with tube amps, Fender did this one right. What sucks is the factory settings kinda suck, you have to get in there and do it yourself to get a preamp twin into a mac sound, so testing it at a guitar store can be frustrating if not unfruitful. I even have it sounding good Loud now using it like a preamp.
The handful of people I have insisted this to have all become believers after owning one for a while. It does EVERYTHING too from recording, looping, effects galore, backing tracks for practice,etc.... I would have NEVER believed I would be saying this, and I am sure Nor would Vic before buying his AxeFx. I will have some recordings soon enough, My band put me in charge of the Zoom, since we have been lax about recording our stuff. Its not just a modeled tone, it is a full parameter changing modeling tone. If you can't get it sounding right your doing something wrong or need to hook it to the PC.
 #90157  by strumminsix

Anything under 10W will suffer from lack of clean headroom with humbuckers.

Also, as this is in the Jerry tone section, I find reverb being essential.

If you are playing single coils and have a reverb pedals then the Champ would rock!