#89571  by JonnyBoy

Pete B. wrote:I would just check Craigslist and get the least expensive practice amp that doesn't smell like cigs or cat pee.

The cat pee thing is an important Jerry thing, it adds way too much bass. :D
 #89656  by TI4-1009

Must be China cat pee. Critical to THE tone... :wink:
 #89660  by Pete B.

Hey I'm not saying get some hunk... just that there are alot of cool bedroom type rigs that cross my field of vision on Craigslist, and many of them are less than $100 bucks (you could get two and go stereo).
Here's my bedroom rig... I got that Danelectro as a wedding present. A friend recently gave me that 10" speaker on the bottom (it says "Eagle Works" on the back), and I found that 10" speaker cab on Craisglist for $20 (it came out of an old console organ).
That is an Alesis Microverb II on top.
Last edited by Pete B. on Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #89686  by vwjodyme

I got the gdec jr on ebay for about $70 awhile back and have really enjoyed it. it has backing tracks to play along with and several different settings of amp types (black face, jazz, metal, etc...) and settings for each amp like clean, slightly OD, and maxed out OD. Also has some effects built in that are occasionally fun to fool around with...i mostly just leave the reverb on. If i had to do it again I would get the next step up. i thas a lot more options and you can tweek the settings or add backing tracks from their website as mentioned above.
 #89703  by tigerstrat

Nearly off-T, but my "bedroom rig"? Is just my electric guitar with no amp. Probably 95% of my practicing is done that way.

Wow, Pete that speaker looks CLEAN. Did it come that way? Eagle Works is local to the NW I think- SG used to have a 4x10 from them...
 #89731  by tcsned

tigerstrat wrote:Nearly off-T, but my "bedroom rig"? Is just my electric guitar with no amp. Probably 95% of my practicing is done that way.
+1
 #89740  by mijknahs

My bedroom rig is my Martin D-28. It hangs right by my bed and I play it whenever I feel like playing in my bedroom.
 #89931  by TI4-1009

tigerstrat wrote:Nearly off-T, but my "bedroom rig"? Is just my electric guitar with no amp. Probably 95% of my practicing is done that way.
Well I'll be dipped- here's another guy that did a lot of unplugged practicing! :

#89933  by mijknahs

TI4-1009 wrote:
Well I'll be dipped- here's another guy that did a lot of unplugged practicing! :
Yeah, and everyone has seen that home video clip of Jerry "practicing" Crazy Fingers backstage with the Tiger and a small amp, right?
 #89939  by tigerstrat

mijknahs wrote:
TI4-1009 wrote:
Yeah, and everyone has seen that home video clip of Jerry "practicing" Crazy Fingers backstage with the Tiger and a small amp, right?
I think that's a dressing room at an arena iirc, isn't it? And is he even using an amp? Guess I need to go back and look again... such a priceless little clip.
 #89941  by mijknahs

tigerstrat wrote:I think that's a dressing room at an arena iirc, isn't it? And is he even using an amp? Guess I need to go back and look again... such a priceless little clip.
I didn't actually see an amp but it sounds like a low volume amp. Seemed just a tad too loud for Tiger acoustic. Great clip though.
 #90028  by vwjodyme

Didn't someone say awhile back that he was using a little champ in that clip?
 #90030  by JonnyBoy

It would be neat to know what he usually had around backstage in his later years, but it could be anything without seeing it to be sure. There is an old 70's pic of Jer using a champ for practice. The 80's version could be just about anything. That is, without having direct knowledge from the guys that were there or the picture itself. Jerry has always been a creature of Habit when it comes to his amps, I would bet on the champ.
 #90034  by Pete B.

I recall hearing he used a Fender Harvard amp as a practice amp. The story I recall was that he got it at Scottys Music in St.Louis.
http://www.ampwares.com/amp.asp?id=64

I wanted to buy a Princeton Reverb the other day, but instead I lugged the DSReverb Head up to the computer room to compare with the Danelectro, using the same 10" speaker/cab.
Obviously the DSR sounded better to me, but honestly, at this low volume, they really sound quite similar to me.
I end up playing electrics "unplugged" around the house as well, but I need that "one-full-notch-up-from-unplugged" to play along with the Boys, especially with the Mu_III/Octv material.
Last edited by Pete B. on Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.