#89270  by strumminsix

In the weeks ahead, I'll be taking this:

And modifying with:
Dozin wrote:So there's not much to her. This was more of an experimental / trial thang. Again, I wired the humbuckers for single coil. The middle single coil is flipped upside down and wired black is hot and red is ground. I soldiered the cap from the center post of the tone pot to the center post of the volume pot. I got the concept from the way the blackknifes are wired. I noticed that when I do this I get some brighter highs. The pickups really sound the best when the volume and tone are cranked all the way up.
And this:

And report back :)

Still not sure I understand what flipping the pickup does but we'll see!
 #89276  by strumminsix

JonnyBoy wrote:Thanks for posting that Strum, great minds think alike :smile: (I am going to buy the switches today!)
HAHA! Awesome! The Seymour Duncan has some great diagrams!

I cannot figure out which switches to order?!
 #89278  by erock

strumminsix wrote:
JonnyBoy wrote:Thanks for posting that Strum, great minds think alike :smile: (I am going to buy the switches today!)
HAHA! Awesome! The Seymour Duncan has some great diagrams!

I cannot figure out which switches to order?!
SPST (single pole Single Throw) mini toggle

something like this
http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... CcQ8wIwAg#

i'm sure with some digging you can find a better price

<edit>
errr, i just read the originally quoted text. If you are going with single coils (and the schematic above), the above switch it perfect, if you are going with humbuckers you would need a on-off-on DPDT toggle switch
 #89281  by JonnyBoy

Yes you are right SPST switches will work, but not on/off ? I thought you would want to shut off the PU when not in use. I buy mine at radio shack, they carry them on hand. They are cheaper than ordering and I have been using some in my #1 guitar without fail for a while now. They make some mini toggles and some industrial strength ones that are better quality, but bigger considerably. I can't see spending $10 a piece more for a "High quality" SPST mini switch, They are such a simple design and function, its hard for me to believe any other manufacturer has a better design, and all things wear out over time anyway. They do make them though, but the mini toggles on the market all seem to be the same deal high quality or not. just my opinion on the Mini toggle. The bigger switches do have better versions/designs if you have the room for them....

AHH EDIT: send to ground.....ON/ON
 #89283  by JonnyBoy

Me either, I just follow directions well :-) that makes sense. Now that it has been brought up,,, I have single coil humbuckers (area 58's diamarrzio) wondering if I need DPDT''s? I dont think so though, If memory serves, they had the same # of wires as my stock singles I replaced.

Ha those prices are cheaper than radio shack, :lol: eat my words
 #89284  by erock

strumminsix wrote:I'm not good at this sort of wiring but I thought the on-on would stop the pickup from sounding but allow for master tone and master volume pots?!
looking at the schematic a bit closer that is right, when the switch is on the non active position, it sends the signal from the pickup to ground. then the combination of the active positions goes to the volume.

i didn't use open or closed because wiring like this confuses my non electrical engineer brain.
 #89289  by Pete B.

Speaking of 3-single coils with 1-volume, 1-tone, and 3-on-off switches...
Here's my Squire Strat VII that I have wired like that (woops, looks like I have one HB with split coil in there).

I went to 1-Voulme, 1-Tone on my 6-string MIM Strat, also (that top knob gets in my way):
 #89294  by Pete B.

My friend Rooster Ross here in Portland did those mods. I assume it is the same as your diagram, as it's a pretty basic setup. He also found those switches, so I don't have part # off the top of my head. I think he found them at Ace Hardware, though (the hole-fillers are also at Ace, in black, white, or silver).
I am going back to a 5-way switch though. While actually playing any given song at a gig, I can switch the 5-way much faster than those push-button switches, and I now know that all-on, and bridge-neck, just aren't that different from the normal 5 position tones. I really only use one pickup at a time, or bridge-middle for quack-ee stuff.
Last edited by Pete B. on Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #89296  by Dozin

The wire that goes from the volume pot to the tone pot I'd remove. Run the cap from the center post of the tone pot to the left post of the volume pot = Sweeter highs
 #89298  by tigerstrat

Pete B. wrote:(that top knob gets in my way):
And I thought I was the only one!

wow side note did it just recently become a major pain grabbing Flickr URL's?