rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

#89226  by Chuckles
 Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:17 am
John plays the PRS exclusively when he's playing with his DC band - I wonder if he actually prefers it to the Carvin?

Bobby must be in better shape (and he kinda looks ripped in that video!). The LP weighs considerably more than the Strat, Blue Lightning or ES he's been playing...
 #89248  by CoolBreeze
 Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:48 am
Nice, Dozin! Is the "T" graphite visible on the back of the neck? Or is all of that internal?
I'm looking forward to seeing what guitars they play tonight-

Bruce
 #89249  by Dozin
 Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:12 am
Yes, on/off toggles.

That was my first question also,... no graphite showing on the neck. It would be super hot if it did!
 #89259  by USBLUES
 Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:43 pm
I like that simple Strat, also doing some quick math i think you can get more possibilities with the 3 on/off toggles than the traditional 5-way, maybee he have that sucker in MSG on the 20th and 21st, i'll let ya know !!!!! :cool: :peas:
 #89264  by JonnyBoy
 Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:02 pm
That is nice. I play a Les Paul as a #1 too, although Jerry modded with a super II in the middle. It just holds a note forever. With the 5 way on it and split coils, it can really hit strat tones tones too. I am considering bringing my strat out of retirement, Its about time.

What are the pickups in Bob's new axe?
 #89267  by Dozin
 Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:18 pm
Lightning bolt or the Strat?
 #89272  by hogan
 Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:56 pm
Bob played the black Paul the 3rd day of Red Rocks. The middle night he played a strat that looked a lot like the one Dozin posted. I'm not suggesting it was that one but it seems the old turtle has found a fondness for strats again.
 #89310  by SarnoMusicSolutions
 Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:06 am
Bob played the Les Paul for some of tonight's St. Louis show. He sounds killer with that guitar, it's warm with a real nice chime. Also, the new strat sounds killer. I got to hold it and pick on it for about 5 seconds. It's 6.5 lbs, very light. Kind of wide neck. Flatwounds (unwound G) as usual. AJ pointed out how Bob likes the neck/bridge pickup setting (tele style) and the toggles make that easy. I got to see where Bob's Black Box is now mounted on the inside wall of his rack. Really good show. Vocals are outta sight!

B
 #89313  by Dozin
 Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:00 am
Brad the guitar you looked at had the Hoeg logo on it?
 #89318  by USBLUES
 Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:32 am
That picture makes ya wish you had six arms! Are those PUPS on the Paul originals with the covers removed, or some other kind?