rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

#88942  by waldo041
 Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:27 am
Here is my new garage sale Epiphone SG (Stu Garcia) Special i just recently finished. I found this at a garage sale this past summer for $25 and found out it was a player. So after much debate i finally went ahead and squeezed in a middle humbucker and jerrified the electronics of it. The electronics were also a squeeze and the only issue i ran into concerned the tone controls, so i opted for a global tone. All in All i am happy with the find, but now i am really happy overall with the end results. Very Stu Allen/JG for right around $250!

peace,
waldo
 #88951  by waldo041
 Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:00 pm
thanks guys! i know it's not anything flashy like the awesome guitars shown here recently, but it does the trick for me.

peace,
waldo
 #88952  by hogan
 Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:07 pm
waldo041 wrote:thanks guys! i know it's not anything flashy like the awesome guitars shown here recently, but it does the trick for me.

peace,
waldo
Cheap guitars rule.
 #88953  by CoolBreeze
 Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:14 pm
Very nice, Waldo!
And what Hogan said- cheap guitars rule! They give you the freedom (and the $) to experiment, without too much worry about mucking things up-

Bruce
 #88956  by waldo041
 Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:03 pm
USBLUES wrote:Love the StuCaster! WAldo was that a HS3 or 2 or SDS1?
thanks!

it has an sds-1 in the neck, a vintage plastic boxed type super 2 in the middle and a new super 2 in the bridge. 5 way rotary switch, with coil switches for the bridge and middle pickups. obel with switch and a global tone control. oh, and a TPC1 preamp of course.

one thing i did do since the battery is in the control compartment was install some of those wood type anchors so a machine screw can be used versus a wood screw. i don't know the name of them, but they basically are a nut in the wood the machine screw screws into. so i don't strip out the wood in time with regular wood screws. these are a standard on all the moriarty guitars i have seen and where i got the idea from.

peace,
waldo
 #88958  by tcsned
 Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:16 pm
I dig it Waldo - some of those Epi SGs are really good players, sounds like you got one. There something very cool and unpretentious about a sweet sounding, cheap guitar.
 #88960  by hogan
 Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:32 pm
waldo041 wrote: one thing i did do since the battery is in the control compartment was install some of those wood type anchors so a machine screw can be used versus a wood screw. i don't know the name of them, but they basically are a nut in the wood the machine screw screws into. so i don't strip out the wood in time with regular wood screws. these are a standard on all the moriarty guitars i have seen and where i got the idea from.

peace,
waldo
Wood inserts, usually brass or steel. If I ever build another guitar i'm
going to use 3 or 4 rare earth magnets to hold the back cover on. Just pop your thumbnail under the plate and it's off.
 #88961  by JonnyBoy
 Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:47 pm
I think I see a square inch of space there you can put another mod... :lol: That is an awesome find. I am fond of Les paul's and SG's. My #1 guitar is a Black Beauty Modded thanks to your info. My only problem with some of them is the thick frets, some are like speed bumps. I can't believe you got it for $25 dollars!
 #89004  by jaybird1
 Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:30 am
I would love to install the Garcia electronics inside my SG. What is it called? Buffer Unity Gain bUffer? Where do I get one how hard is it to install? I will need another input as well? Do they make a pedal type unit I can run Guitar to pedal into chain? I got alot of questions thanks

Jay
 #89006  by JonnyBoy
 Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:38 am
jaybird1 wrote:I would love to install the Garcia electronics inside my SG. What is it called? Buffer Unity Gain bUffer? Where do I get one how hard is it to install? I will need another input as well? Do they make a pedal type unit I can run Guitar to pedal into chain? I got alot of questions thanks

Jay

You can PM waldo, His buffer is a handmade circuit that many of the Pro's use. He can also tell you how to do it!
 #89185  by mijknahs
 Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:44 pm
Recent outdoor gig 10/22/2010:

Old blackface Fender Twin Reverb with all the known mods (all documented on Waldo"s site)
MC2300
2x12 w/JBL E120s
Custom Cocobolo/Maple/Cocobolo sandwich with the typical Jerry mods/wiring