Segment 7 - Bass

Am                                           Em        Am
G------------9-------------------9-------------------------------------
D--------10----12-----10-----10-----12--9----------------9-------------
A----12-------------------12-----------------10------10-----12---------
E-------------------------------------------------12-------------------
     A   C   E  D     C   A  C   E  D   B    G    E  G   B  A

Jam on Am
Last edited by Rusty the Scoob on Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
 #88811  by ugly rumor

Wow!!...Cool!!!

Who writes this stuff?!?
 #88812  by strumminsix

Nice, when you play it do you sync up with your "Bobby" for the up and down from the A which is the prelude to the D chord segment?
 #88814  by DeadAheadNH

I love that you're sharing all this great bass insight!! It should remind us all that playing this music is a team effort and not just about having the the right Jerry thing-a-ma-jiggit. Every part is important and should be celebrated and shared like you're doing right here. Thank you :)

Anyone wanna share their thoughts and feelings on the other less mentioned aspects of playing the dead like keyboard parts or, even more interesting to me, how you all handle the vocal harmonies?? Not hijacking anything (new thread please) ... there's still plenty-o-bass to discuss!!!!
 #88815  by Rusty the Scoob

ugly rumor wrote:Wow!!...Cool!!!

Who writes this stuff?!?
Somebody whose fingers like to do things that my fingers sure don't like to do! :lol:
strumminsix wrote:Nice, when you play it do you sync up with your "Bobby" for the up and down from the A which is the prelude to the D chord segment?
Not sure... we've only played it once (I didn't really know that full climbdown when I played it with you, Marcus - my bad!), and as usual I couldn't hear "Bobby" or the keys very well. Two drummers, my 350W amp, and Mike's E120s have a way of drowing things out. :lol:

For that part I played a G#dim arpeggio, back to the Am lick, then another G#dim apreggio, followed right away by an A#dim arpeggio into the same E > A climbdown as the one before the jam... not positive it's 100% right but it didn't sound "off" to me. Does that sound right to you?
 #88868  by Lunchbox16

Always love Help/Slip bass content.

Inspired by Rusty, I threw the following video together as an attempt to generate more dialog about what is going on in these songs from a bass point of view. What I play is really simplistic, but it's a starting point. Here I talk about 2 parts principally: the "whip" into Slipknot, and the "poised for flight" part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F17ncFGtZg (not quite sure how to embed this video in the post....)

Note: When I mention augmented chords I should have said diminished. Oops. Also, I apparently had my amp up TOO loud, so forgive the overdriven bass sound. I'll pay more attention to that in the future.
Last edited by Lunchbox16 on Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #88871  by Rusty the Scoob

Nice!

To embed a Youtube you just put the "0F17ncFGtZg" part of the URL in between the tags, like this:

[**youtube]0F17ncFGtZg[/youtube**]

Except without the asterisks. Thanks to whoever taught me that last week! (Mike?)

About Slipknot - I have some thoughts, mostly little details, that I can share when I get home. You have most of it!
 #88881  by Rusty the Scoob

I get some overdriven sound on my webcam, too... no big deal.

Here is my take on it... I tried to answer all of your questions, and touch on every segment the whole thing from start to finish.

Here is me playing through the most important sections. Sorry about the terrible sound, and the fact that I'm not clean with the lick quite yet. I'll try to put together a better video later.

Here's Fennario playing it for the first time. Normally we'd run through some trouble spots at soundcheck but it was a multi-band event and we were last, so we didn't have that luxury.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/j50ei3thk ... p-Slip.mp3

http://www.mediafire.com/file/3ss31dqvc ... anklin.mp3
 #88883  by Lunchbox16

Rusty,

This is awesome. Very helpful. Thanks so much for doing this. I've definitely got a few ideas now and your approach helps to clarify a few trouble spots I was having, especially the run down. It's good (for me) to see that I was pretty close to the mark with the arpeggios on the diminished stuff. I didn't think he was straying too far there. I tend to keep it pretty loose in the Slipknot jam, which I agree is a lot of fun.

Do try hitting that G# after the "poised for flight" section back to the verse. I think it provides some good nuance, but your opinion may vary.

By the way, I really like that bass you're playing. I can tell it's got some nice resonance to it.
 #88891  by Rusty the Scoob

Lunchbox16 wrote:Rusty,

This is awesome. Very helpful. Thanks so much for doing this. I've definitely got a few ideas now and your approach helps to clarify a few trouble spots I was having, especially the run down. It's good (for me) to see that I was pretty close to the mark with the arpeggios on the diminished stuff. I didn't think he was straying too far there. I tend to keep it pretty loose in the Slipknot jam, which I agree is a lot of fun.

Do try hitting that G# after the "poised for flight" section back to the verse. I think it provides some good nuance, but your opinion may vary.

By the way, I really like that bass you're playing. I can tell it's got some nice resonance to it.
No problem, glad I can help!

I'll definitely give that G#/Ab a try... I've been curious about that note. It seems on 8/13/75 he only plays it the last time...? I'll spend some time with it this weekend. I borrowed a few other ideas from your video, too, thanks!

I do really like that bass... it's great for the 70's stuff. 34" solidbodies have too much sustain, I like how this bass attacks a note strongly and then gets out of the way - It really pops out the Phil lines, especially on stage. I'm still adjusting to it and figuring out all it's weird quirks - but it's worth it for the tone.
 #88892  by Lunchbox16

I thought this lick was a bit easier to play in this position, so I figured that since Rusty already did the hard work, I'd just throw up an alternative tab.
Code: Select all
G---------------------------------------------------------------------
D------------14-12---------------14--12-------------------------------
A----12--15-----------15--12-15---------14---------------14-12--------
E--------------------------------------------15---12-15---------------

Here's the tab for the run-down, courtesy of Rusty as well (he does the actual work and I just tab it out).
G--------------------------------------
D------9-9-----7-7---------------------
A---7-------9-------7--5-5--3-3--2-----
E-----------------------------------5--
    E  B B  F# A A  E  D D  C C  B  A
 #88894  by Rusty the Scoob

I'll have to try that position on one of my high-range-friendly, faster-playing basses. Not going to work on the Starfire, I think... it's pretty temperamental past the 12th fret.

Credit for both tabs shouldn't go to me... I just translated the Am lick from the guitar tab on here, using an actual guitar, even. :lol: And I got the climbdown from Marcus... I didn't even know what the heck he was talking about until I went back and learned the first few notes by ear and said "Oh! That's what he was talking about there!"
 #88914  by Lunchbox16

That Am lick could just as easily be moved to the middle of the neck. It'd have a comparable tone range and might be more comfortable than working in the upper register. I just wrote it out up there because that's where the original tab was.
G------------9--7----------------9--7------------------------------
D----7---10-----------10--7--10---------9----------------9--7------
A--------------------------------------------10---7--10------------
E------------------------------------------------------------------
Actually, I think I like it better in this position because when you play the G#dim7 arpeggio it sets you up really nicely to get back to the Am riff.
 #88932  by Rusty the Scoob

The G# dim arpeggio could be played like this if you're way up the neck:

G---------------------
    D------------12--15---
    A--------14-----------
    E----16---------------
         G#  B   D   F   

Oh! I just tried your lick up on the 12th fret and had the same idea to move to to the middle of the neck that you tabbed out.... then I scrolled down and you have it right there! In that case I'd play the G# arpeggio like this:

G------------7---10-
    D----6---9----------
    A-------------------
    E-------------------
         G#  B   D   F   

Although Phil doesn't really play that F as far as I can hear.

I like this new positioning! It's less stretching, less strings, and feels more like the A minor scales that I know well. Only brain twister is when to play C and when to play B and even that's not too bad if you think of the first half of the lick as A minor pentatonic and the second half as B minor pentatonic - even though it's really all in regular diatonic A minor.