#88824  by Billbbill

I'm leaning toward an A/C# bass.

Here's a jerry line I play over this
Code: Select all
(/) Slide Up  (\) Slide Down  (h) Hammer On  (p) Pull Off  (b) Bend (r) Release (v) Vibrato

E|--------------------------------------
B|--10--12--14--17--15--14--12--10---7--
G|-----------------------------------7
D|--11--12--14--17--16--14--12--11---9--
A|--------------------------------------
							http://www.guitartabcreator.com
the 2nd pair of 14's represents that point - and amounts to the 5 (e) over the 3 (c#) of an A chord - i suppose F#m7 would suit it as well, though the F# note seems to muck it up, just like the Ab of the C#m seems to as well - to me anyway. I've found, when in doubt it's the simpler solution that makes the most sense.

edited the end of the tab

oppsie! yet another edit! Was off by a fret on the 5th voicing
 #88825  by strumminsix

Billbbill wrote:I'm leaning toward an A/C# bass.
Tried that, nope.
Billbbill wrote:i suppose F#m7 would suit it as well, though the F# note seems to muck it up, just like the Ab of the C#m seems to as well - to me anyway. I've found, when in doubt it's the simpler solution that makes the most sense.
The E in the Fm7 does not sound right.

Simpler doesn't always mean accurate especially with Bobby songs. I actually have a Jerry line with the F#m that works equally nice!
 #88826  by jeffm725

^^^^ I really, really tried to stay out of this :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: .........

Anyway, Bill said what I have been doing for quite a while

A/C# or what we call "A first inversion" (3rd at the bottom of the chord). Of course you hear the F#m there because really a first inversion A is for all intensive purposes an F#m7.

Mute (dont play) the top and bottom E strings... ring finger on the A string at 4th Fret, barre index at 2nd fret across d,g.b strings.

I just dont think he is really accenting any part of that chord other than the C# . So I guess it doesnt matter anyway. Play ANY chord that has a C# in it and Play the C# .... /end discussion :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
 #88827  by Stevo123

Hmmm good call actually, the A/C# does work well there. Strummin, as far as the E note not working, the lead line actually contains an E over that chord. That gives more reason why it could be confused with the C#m chord we originally thought, because those chords share two notes.
 #88831  by strumminsix

I didn't mean to shoot your accuracy down, Billbill, meant to my ears. Sorry.

Here is another video, check verse 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r73DKeXzPfI

Just a quick question - in this debate are folks saying what they have played with their guitar while listening to shows/watching vids and comparing or how folks have always played it?

Tried this last night:
e---2---2---2-------2-------------------
b---3---3---3-------3-------------------
g---2---2---4-------4-------------------
d---4---4---4-------4-------------------
a---5---4---2---0---2-------------------
e----------------------------------------
 #88832  by Billbbill

No offense takin ss - now if this were about whether it was an F#maj or F#m we may come to blows! :twisted:

from that vid looks to me like he may just be plucking the C# - doesn't look like his pinky is involved at all.

as to your question originally from listening (eons ago I'd say) - and then just playing it as I thought it went from that. I'd previously been been in the C#m camp - but then again I was always looking toward the riffing jerry end of things...
 #88833  by jeffm725

strumminsix wrote:I didn't mean to shoot your accuracy down, Billbill, meant to my ears. Sorry.

Here is another video, check verse 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r73DKeXzPfI

Just a quick question - in this debate are folks saying what they have played with their guitar while listening to shows/watching vids and comparing or how folks have always played it?

Tried this last night:
d---4---4---4-------4-------------------
For me it is how I always played it from watching him.
And watching the video you just posted reinforced it. in BOTH the first and second verses.

He is really just walking down from the "C" shaped D chord to the Bmin by making the the C# the passing tone between the two by using that first inversion A chord I noted earlier. I agree that with Bobby the simplest explanation isn't always the right one, but in this case I truly believe it is.

The first inversion A chord is SO VERY close in resembling the F#m shape wise that of course people will think it is an F#. (And IT IS an F#m7 anyway!). By the way, that "first inversion chord" is used by Bobby all over the neck. For Bobby heads they should think of it as really just a shortened "G shape" barre chord that omits the 6th string. Really almost as common as Bobby's "5" chords.

By the way, a lot of thumb action from him in this one too! I saw him thumbing the bottom of the C shaped D with his thumb on the second fret in this one (which would, put the 3rd at the bottom there too! just intersting to me and not really linked to your real question though, I usually dont see anyone playing the the C shaped D with an F# on the bottom with the Thumb!)
 #88835  by Stevo123

Strummin, I like holding on to that D over the top on the B string myself. I actually tried that exact one out last night. The only difference in what I settled on is that I go with the A/C# for the second chord (three stacked 4ths in that voicing! love it!) Like this -

d---4---2---4-------4-------------------
 #88852  by strumminsix

Jeff, you are totally right about major thumbage! Still not seeing the F#m7?

The first transitions I have go from D to a Dmaj7, technically, that D on the B strings makes it so :-)

Oh, and very much agree, but I have always called it a "rootless G shape"
 #88859  by Pete B.

strumminsix wrote:...The first transitions I have go from D to a Dmaj7...
As far as the first 4 strings are concerned, Dmaj7 and F#min are the same exact notes.
E|--5--
B|--7--
G|--6--
D|--7--
A|-----
E|-----
 #88867  by strumminsix

Pete B. wrote:
As far as the first 4 strings are concerned, Dmaj7 and F#min are the same exact notes.
E|--5--
B|--7--
G|--6--
D|--7--
A|-----
E|-----
Right but it's the "7" or "E" that I'm not hearing nor seeing and you seem to agree :-)
 #88904  by jeffm725

Pete B. wrote:
E|--5--
B|--7--
G|--6--
D|--7--
A|-----
E|-----
Which is also an "A6" ...ouch my head hurts........
 #88906  by strumminsix

jeffm725 wrote:
Pete B. wrote:
E|--5--
B|--7--
G|--6--
D|--7--
A|-----
E|-----
Which is also an "A6" ...ouch my head hurts........
Don't think so. An A6 contains an E while the shape above does not have an E. and I also dispute the E in an Fm7
 #88908  by Pete B.

As far as the first 4 strings are concerned, in the position shown, it's also an A6.
 #88934  by strumminsix

Here's a jerry line I play over this
(/) Slide Up  (\) Slide Down  (h) Hammer On  (p) Pull Off  (b) Bend (r) Release (v) Vibrato

B|--10--12--14--17--15--14--12--10---7--
G|-----------------------------------7
D|--11--12--14--17--16--14--12--11---9--
							http://www.guitartabcreator.com
the 2nd pair of 14's represents that point - and amounts to the 5 (e) over the 3 (c#) of an A chord - i suppose F#m7 would suit it as well, though the F# note seems to muck it up, just like the Ab of the C#m seems to as well - to me anyway. I've found, when in doubt it's the simpler solution that makes the most sense.

edited the end of the tab

Bill, try this for the F#M
B|--10--12--14--17--15--14--12--10---12--
G|----------------------------------------
D|--11--12--14--17--16--16--12--11---12-
I subbed out for a F# and also an inverted Bm at the end!