Chat about Equipment Info
 #88709  by playingdead

A friend of mine from Boston who sits in with Playing Dead when I don't travel back for the gigs has this guitar he bought in either a music store or pawn shop when he was out in California years ago ... appears to be an Irwin, Strat-type guitar. (I remember him saying the store had no idea what it was and that he didn't pay much for it at all). I saw it in person a few years back, he busted it out last night. I'll see if I can get some more photos of it. It has the typical brass bridge and tailpiece, looks like similar wood and finish to the Wolf and has the simpler eagle logo on the headstock.

Not sure if he added the Roland pickup to it or if it came that way, I don't remember it being on there when I saw it in 03 or so.
Last edited by playingdead on Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #88711  by tigerstrat

Are those Fender amp knobs?
 #88716  by broesau

Looks pretty sweet. Doug used those amp knobs on Wolf Jr. too. Is it a bolt on neck?
 #88746  by Dozin

Very nice. Can't imagine finding a diamond like that in a music store. What a score!
 #88766  by tigerstrat

keirweir wrote:I'd love more deatails on that guitar. Is that a Coco bolo or Walnut core?

Are there any recrodings out there?
Best look of that so far seems to be the arm contour on the lower bout. Doesn't look like walnut to me, maybe cocobolo or some other type of rosewood.
 #88768  by keirweir

tigerstrat wrote:
keirweir wrote:I'd love more deatails on that guitar. Is that a Coco bolo or Walnut core?

Are there any recrodings out there?
Best look of that so far seems to be the arm contour on the lower bout. Doesn't look like walnut to me, maybe cocobolo or some other type of rosewood.

Agreed, it does have the red coco bolo look to it. The more you look at it the more the headstock matched the core. Maybe so maybe not. Regardless, now I want to build one...
 #88775  by tigerstrat

Rusty the Scoob wrote:Is it my imagination or is the middle pickup nudged toward the neck a little bit - as if it were the active coil on a middle Super II?

I'm gonna say the neck is nudged towards the middle, to accomodate the 24 fret neck (regular Strat ends at 21, and a 22 fret replacement neck goes right up to neck pup). Could be that the middle is nudged a little towards the bridge as well.
 #88776  by strumminsix

jdsmodulus wrote:Whew..thats an Irwin alright! :hail:
Guess or fact?