#88608  by Joe Brown

Hi, i've been reading this forum for quite while so first, thanks for all the great info here!!
so here's my Deal: ive got a '79 Twin in a head cab. i recently picked up some E-120's(8ohms) and stuck them in my 2x12 cab and quickly discovered that what folks saying about their being heavy is true!!
So.. i got a couple of 1x12 cabs :lol: that have 1/4" jacks already wired and am wondering.. can i simply run one cab with the "regular" speaker out and the other with the Ext.? i've read different things about how the speaker out jacks are wired and the switching on the output tranny, etc. i'd just like to be sure before i let her rip.
Also. would be ok to run just one of the 1x12s for smaller gigs and practices?
please forgive, i know this probably pretty elementary stuff, but i couldn't find anything that about this specific setup.

Thanks Much!!

Joe
 #88609  by JonnyBoy

Yes you can, and the amp will see 4 ohms, assuming the speakers are the standard 8 ohm. You could also just hook one speaker in if you like or only need to. That amp prefers a 4 ohm load but can handle a 2 or 8.
 #88628  by Joe Brown

Thanks very much for the info, i had a feeling it would be ok. i'm going to throw the E's in today. these 1x12s i just got are closed back cabs, which i figured i would open up myself at some point.
but i'm curious to hear how they sound in a closed back box. i'm going to put my D-120's back in my old 2x12, so it will be nice to have the different options, variety IS the spice of life, after all :}
here's another silly question, if your running two (or more cabs) should your speaker cables be the same gage? i would think that as long as they are low enough gage to let the juice flow, its the same
signal either way,right? just as long as they are not too high an impedance. i fried a dual showman using most likely a guitar cable about 25 yrs. ago, ah the follies of youth!

thanks again!!

Joe