When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #8773  by HOWEYMAN

I should know this, but can someone tell me who they are refering to in the title "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed"?

#8776  by HOWEYMAN

intresting. Thanks

#8783  by wisedyes

I remember reading somewhere that it was the name on the headstone at the favorite spot in a cemetary that the young Allmans liked to hang out in.

#8784  by HOWEYMAN

wisedyes wrote:I remember reading somewhere that it was the name on the headstone at the favorite spot in a cemetary that the young Allmans liked to hang out in.

That makes sense as to why they named the song that, for an instrumental, bands proably don't always know what to entitle them.

#8795  by spilly

okay here's the story. The boy's ussued to hang out and jam at a memorial section of the cemetary, but this is not where Liz Reed's grave was. Liz's grave was a decent ways across the cemetary. One night on the way to jammin' at the spot, Dickey had brought a girl with him. Before they reached the rest of the crew they got a little rambunctious and had "relations" on a womans grave. Dickey remember the name as he had been staring at it for the duration of said "relations". later that night he came up with the initial idea for the song as they drank in the usual spot. His morals had gotten the best of him at this point and he felt terrible for decicrating the womans grave, so he named his masterpiece in the making for her as an act of atonment.

#8851  by deedly

Spilly is correct. The cemetary is Rose Hill Cemetary here in Macon GA. Duane Allman and Berry Oakley are at rest here (R.I.P.) I live close by and visit occasionally. I greww up with Phil Walden's son (Capricorn Records) and once at a street party in Julliette GA I heard Dicky Betts talkin about that song title, and he told the same story. I have visited Elizabeth Reed's grave, and if I remember right, the grave stone is etched "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed". Macon is still mourning for Phil Walden as he passed away a few months ago. Rest In Peace Mr. Walden..