rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

Chat about Equipment Info
 #87669  by SarnoMusicSolutions
 Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:38 pm
Looks like this may be our #1 Mutron III replacement pedal. I talked with Mark Karan and also Theo Hartman today about it. They really went the distance on this one, and focused a lot on being able to toggle between "up" and "down" without having to re-tweak all the other controls, a real problem with the Mutron III and Q-Tron. They really stuck to the true circuit fundamentals to retain that magic Mutron sound. Hartman makes great stuff.

C'mon Santa!

http://www.hartmanelectronicstore.com/E ... FILTER.htm


Brad
 #87682  by tigerstrat
 Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:56 pm
I've never been bothered by having to re-tweak between Up and Down on a Mu-Tron. I almost never use the Down mode (except on you-know-what), but I recall it being pretty quick n easy: iirc, switch Up to Down, Lo to Hi, and raise Peak from about 11:00 to maybe 1:00 or 2:00 and zap dem aliens!

Hang on... are there no sound samples to be had? You guys are ordering, "sound unheard"!? Man I wish I had a small fraction of that kinda scratch to throw around.
Last edited by tigerstrat on Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #87684  by SarnoMusicSolutions
 Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:44 pm
For die-hard Police or Gilmour/Floyd fans, the Hartman analog flanger is a fantastic re-make of the ORIGINAL (pre deluxe) EH Electric Mistress flanger, which is actually a chorus/flanger. Actually sounds to me like a pedal Weir should have liked.


Brad
 #87690  by Pete B.
 Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:07 am
I just listened to those 5 clips.
imho, At this point they really seriously need to put up some clips of this thing sounding like Jerry playing through a MuTronIII.
To my ear, and with all due respect... None of those clips sound like our beloved MuTronIII Garcia "blurp".
With that said, espessially with this type of effect... It's all in the hands, and it's all in the "intent".
Last edited by Pete B. on Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #87702  by tigerstrat
 Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:33 am
Chutley wrote:Actually, audio clips can be found on the main page: http://www.hartmanelectronicstore.com
lol, the link went to the Product page and there were none, then I tried "Sounds" and they had samples of every pedal but the EF. I didn't look at the Home page. Thanks!

Sounds pretty good; there sure are a lot of nice filter pedals to choose from thesedaze. Is MK tweaking during the "Jam" clip?

Agreed, Pete, but I don't think anybody's sample clips are going to sound like Garcia playing Shakedown at the Greek!
 #87703  by jdsmodulus
 Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:10 am
tigerstrat wrote:I've never been bothered by having to re-tweak between Up and Down on a Mu-Tron. I almost never use the Down mode (except on you-know-what), but I recall it being pretty quick n easy: iirc, switch Up to Down, Lo to Hi, and raise Peak from about 11:00 to maybe 1:00 or 2:00 and zap dem aliens!

Hang on... are there no sound samples to be had? You guys are ordering, "sound unheard"!? Man I wish I had a small fraction of that kinda scratch to throw around.
Well Tigerstrat, I use a Haz Mutron right now so anything thats affordable and those folks endorse it Im all over it! And for the record, Im broke as a joke! :lol: True straving artist man.
 #87741  by JonnyBoy
 Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:57 pm
Pete B. wrote:I just listened to those 5 clips.
imho, At this point they really seriously need to put up some clips of this thing sounding like Jerry playing through a MuTronIII.
To my ear, and with all due respect... None of those clips sound like our beloved MuTronIII Garcia "blurp".
With that said, espessially with this type of effect... It's all in the hands, and it's all in the "intent".

I totally agree and I think thats why a lot of guitarists don't like them compared to a wha. You have to learn how to use it right. I would also add the tone of the guitar, amp and the volume have large factors on its tone as well as the above quote. Since using it through my Gdec and the many voices that amp has, it is quite apparent amp tone has a lot to do with the outcome from the speaker. This realization has allowed me to look at the filter in a different way than I had been. My last gig I tried lowering my rig volume and boosted the mic volume to a better tone overall, but it is a little harder to hear in the stage mix, but monitors can help there too. It wasn't a huge amount, just a couple hairs off the volume helps a lot for me with peaks/distortion. Plus the addition of a EQ really makes the pedal more versatile, and confusing at the same time.

I give them props for ease of use, but a Qtron+ is a fantastic envelope filter for the money and half the price. It does the Jerry thing very well. I would consider a Hartman though if I was in the market, I almost got a discombobulator, which are relative in price. I have to admit, sometimes I wish there were more parameters to change when dialing in to get a certain amp, guitar and volume to work well, its a very ticky animal. :smile:
 #87743  by Chuckles
 Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:29 pm
It's funny, JB... I was singing the praises of the Emma for months, then switched rigs to the SMS vs pre'd Twin and got the Post guitar with the DMs vs. the Ibanez w/Super 88's. Now I can't dial the Emma in to save my life. I'm hoping the Hartman helps me address this, as it has (I think) more straightforward controls. Of course I know most of it is technique, but the Emma just gets lost in the upper registers and if I adjust the sensitivity to compensate, the lower notes just go nuts... even with a considerable amount of hand dampening.

Def an odd effect and one with which a player needs to spend a good amount of time to understand! :roll:
Last edited by Chuckles on Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #87745  by zambiland
 Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:16 pm
I wonder how it sounds with a bass. Jerry wasn't the only person to make a Mutron part of his signature sound, you know! Bootsy's sound is a holy grail as well.
 #87770  by tcsned
 Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:18 am
JonnyBoy wrote:
Pete B. wrote:I just listened to those 5 clips.
imho, At this point they really seriously need to put up some clips of this thing sounding like Jerry playing through a MuTronIII.
To my ear, and with all due respect... None of those clips sound like our beloved MuTronIII Garcia "blurp".
With that said, espessially with this type of effect... It's all in the hands, and it's all in the "intent".

I totally agree and I think thats why a lot of guitarists don't like them compared to a wha. You have to learn how to use it right. I would also add the tone of the guitar, amp and the volume have large factors on its tone as well as the above quote. Since using it through my Gdec and the many voices that amp has, it is quite apparent amp tone has a lot to do with the outcome from the speaker. This realization has allowed me to look at the filter in a different way than I had been. My last gig I tried lowering my rig volume and boosted the mic volume to a better tone overall, but it is a little harder to hear in the stage mix, but monitors can help there too. It wasn't a huge amount, just a couple hairs off the volume helps a lot for me with peaks/distortion. Plus the addition of a EQ really makes the pedal more versatile, and confusing at the same time.

I give them props for ease of use, but a Qtron+ is a fantastic envelope filter for the money and half the price. It does the Jerry thing very well. I would consider a Hartman though if I was in the market, I almost got a discombobulator, which are relative in price. I have to admit, sometimes I wish there were more parameters to change when dialing in to get a certain amp, guitar and volume to work well, its a very ticky animal. :smile:
Those things are so touch sensitive that same guitar and rig with different players gets a whole different effect. I had an original Mutron III back when I was first starting to play in the early/mid 80s and it gave me a lot of headaches and tossed it after it started having problems. I used a Boss Envelope after that for several years - worked but not great but passable. Then moved to the Q-Tron when they first came out and it was a lot better than I remembered the MU III - of course I had then been playing guitar for close to 20 years and I hope I had gotten better. Then i got the Haz Mutron and again seemed a significant improvement to the Q-Tron (though many on this board disagree). I have had no problems with it since. I also have a guitar with extremely hot pickups and that can be some of it. I had also started playing guitar synth and was getting better at playing to the sound rather then hoping the sound conformed to my playing. I dunno what makes the difference. I wonder if I got an original Mutron again if it would be a different story :roll:

I use a talkbox too and can get a lot of the same effect with that though it colors tone and forces a different touch even more than the envelope filter.