rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

Chat about Equipment Info
 #87499  by Chutley
 Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:38 am
I am sure many of you saw this picture of JK's Furthur rig already - it was tweeted by Furthur on 9/20. When I saw it, I thought for sure it would show up here, but if it did I missed it. So, I thought it might be good to post it in case anyone was interested.

Thanks!
Attachments
165288510.jpg
165288510.jpg (63.86 KiB) Viewed 4407 times
 #87513  by Counterstriker
 Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:55 pm
Asked him what his set up was back in february -

H&K Bluesmaster tube preamp> Lexicon reverb> QSC power amp> Tone Tubby 2x12 hemp particleboard cabinet with JBL E120 speakers reconed with Tone Tubby hemp cones

He's a cool guy! Answers pretty much any gear questions!

His set up looks different now though. What's next to tubscreamer?
 #87523  by WilliamC
 Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:38 am
I think you've got a Mutron III, Boss OC-2 Octave (brown), MXR Phase 100 (orange), and MXR Distortion+ (yellow) in the main section. I'll defer to better eyes for the rack mount goodies. Obviously can't tell for sure what the pedal on the top right is, but the Boss compressor/sustainer is about that shade of blue. Can't guess about the middle top.
 #87528  by keirweir
 Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:18 am
WilliamC wrote:I think you've got a Mutron III, Boss OC-2 Octave (brown), MXR Phase 100 (orange), and MXR Distortion+ (yellow) in the main section. I'll defer to better eyes for the rack mount goodies. Obviously can't tell for sure what the pedal on the top right is, but the Boss compressor/sustainer is about that shade of blue. Can't guess about the middle top.
That blue pedal on top looks just like a blues driver but that would be a long shot...
 #87531  by waldo041
 Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:57 am
Dbx 166xl Compressor
Image


Lexicon MX200 Reverb
Image


Lexicon MPX1 Multi Effects Processor
Image

but i am interested in what's in the altoid can inside the plastic storage bin!

peace,
waldo
Last edited by waldo041 on Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #87532  by tigerstrat
 Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:10 am
keirweir wrote:
WilliamC wrote:I think you've got a Mutron III, Boss OC-2 Octave (brown), MXR Phase 100 (orange), and MXR Distortion+ (yellow) in the main section. I'll defer to better eyes for the rack mount goodies. Obviously can't tell for sure what the pedal on the top right is, but the Boss compressor/sustainer is about that shade of blue. Can't guess about the middle top.
That blue pedal on top looks just like a blues driver but that would be a long shot...
Looks lighter than the shade of blue used on the Blues Driver, more like a Chorus. The MXR's look like modern ones. I'll bet that's the same Octaver he had 15-20 years ago- probably piece he's had in his rig the longest time. At some point I'll have to A>D and post some weird old Wingnut tracks from '96-'97 where he's ripping electric violin through his fx rig, at least the ones where the bassist isn't tossing a log :oops: ...
 #87591  by unnbrokenchain
 Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:32 pm
Wonder why he uses a compressor? He use to use a Linear Boost for a clipping effect. Is that what the compressor is for? Still can't believe he uses a QSC power amp, talk about power.
 #87594  by JonnyBoy
 Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:50 pm
a compressor can help with the mutron and with the octave + mutron combo so you don't get those spikes on either side of the spectrum. A wisely used high quality compressor with a super loud rig can help shape the tones of the above bomb/ice pick making pedals and really hep the normal sound in a positive way. I use a compressor with my EF and octave POG to keep the speakers from busting ear drums with certain frequencies. I sometimes use it for a OD pedal too. It can help the system be more forgiving IMO. Tube amps have a natural compression going on that makes them a bit more forgiving too. A 1000 watt SS amp is not on the forgiving side, I wouldn't guess. I don't use it all the time, but it is helpful to have around if needed.
NOTE: JK's is also a limiter, that could be what he is mainly using it for. He has been know to show up around here before, maybe this thread will catch his eye and explain some of his approaches. I am also wondering about the fuzz pedal too, the settings seem to be low enough to get a workable tone. Maybe the Altoid can has picks in it, not much else would fit, in terms of guitar gear :D . I have also wondered if a compressor/limiter was ever used on Healy's side of the controls for Jerry's/the bands sound(s).
 #87603  by strumminsix
 Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:09 am
Purely speculation but I'm guessing he's using it like I do in my rig - as a limiter compressor

In this manner you don't compress until you've crossed the limiters threshold.

This is a very effective tool for properly controlling your levels and staying at a constant point in the mix.
 #87617  by tigerstrat
 Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:21 am
waldo041 wrote:but i am interested in what's in the altoid can inside the plastic storage bin!
I'll bet you the Altoid can contains his secret weapon... Altoids!
 #87626  by unnbrokenchain
 Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:59 am
JonnyBoy wrote:a compressor can help with the mutron and with the octave + mutron combo so you don't get those spikes on either side of the spectrum. A wisely used high quality compressor with a super loud rig can help shape the tones of the above bomb/ice pick making pedals and really hep the normal sound in a positive way. I use a compressor with my EF and octave POG to keep the speakers from busting ear drums with certain frequencies. I sometimes use it for a OD pedal too. It can help the system be more forgiving IMO. Tube amps have a natural compression going on that makes them a bit more forgiving too. A 1000 watt SS amp is not on the forgiving side, I wouldn't guess. I don't use it all the time, but it is helpful to have around if needed.
NOTE: JK's is also a limiter, that could be what he is mainly using it for. He has been know to show up around here before, maybe this thread will catch his eye and explain some of his approaches. I am also wondering about the fuzz pedal too, the settings seem to be low enough to get a workable tone. Maybe the Altoid can has picks in it, not much else would fit, in terms of guitar gear :D . I have also wondered if a compressor/limiter was ever used on Healy's side of the controls for Jerry's/the bands sound(s).
Thanks Jonnyboy. I figured the comp is used for gate purposes. Interesting thing about the mutron and octave. I don't play with an octave, but I do use a Qtron. I normally turn down my volume when I play with the Qtron on, so my sound is smooth and full. If I don't, then the Qtron sounds distorted. Very similar to the Mutron sounds of '77 which were somewhat distorted, compared to the smooth dynamic clear sound it has on the "Fire on the Mountain" from 12/31/1978. When it comes to tweaking pedals, I feel the envelopes are the most difficult.

This may be off topic, but I don't see why JK still insist on using that QSC power amp. I'm not sure what model it is, but it has to be at least 250 watts strong. He can't use all that power, which is enough to blow an E-120. I would imagine it doesn't color his sound at all. Seems he'd have much better luck with an actual guitar power amp. So, I looked at all the solid state power amps available on the market today. Found a couple which have nothing special about them, then I found the Roctron Velocity 300. Wow! It's a one unit rack power amp with two 150 watt channels. I would prefer 50 watt channels which is what the Roctron Velocity 100 has. But, the 300 has something called a“Reactance” circuit knob, the 100 power amp doesn't have this. The "Reactance" knob allows you to adjust the power amps sound, from a solid state sound to a tube amp sound. So, you can take it from solid-state sound right through the tube sound of say, a Marshall all the way up to a MesaBoogie tube sound. The 300 also has a "definition" knob, so there is plenty of tweaking room for you to find a good sound. It's also priced at a decent level, $350. After learning about all the cool things about this power amp, I feel a lot more comfortable and also encouraged to switch over from a tube fender amphead to a soon to be complex rack unit system.
 #87631  by Rusty the Scoob
 Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:07 pm
These Rocktron power amps are interesting, but I'm still hoping for an SMS Power Amp... preferably with exactly the right wattage to drive one 8 ohm D140. 8)
Last edited by Rusty the Scoob on Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #87632  by strumminsix
 Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:19 pm
unnbrokenchain wrote: This may be off topic, but I don't see why JK still insist on using that QSC power amp. I'm not sure what model it is, but it has to be at least 250 watts strong. He can't use all that power, which is enough to blow an E-120. I would imagine it doesn't color his sound at all. Seems he'd have much better luck with an actual guitar power amp.
His rig is 2x12 so I don't think that he's at risk of blowing the JBLs and yes, I'd imagine he does get very loud.

In my estimation the QSC would be closer to a Mac than the Roctron which has tube emulation.