Chat about Equipment Info
 #87042  by oldjoebones

Equipment:

Guitar - Fender Deluxe American Strat 2010: No Modifications.
Amp - Fender blues deluxe reissue 40W 1x12
Effects pedals in current chain order:

Boss Chromatic Tuner
Boss Octave
Digitech Envelope Filter
Boss Overdrive
Boss Equalizer
Digitech Phaser
Boss Digital Delay

All are chained together and Im using 9V batteries at the moment to power them. I do plan on getting the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus but just getting things set up right now.

First off let me start by saying Im not the worlds best guitar player but I can play....I even started up with lessons again to hone my skills and refresh my memory. I know its not my amp as if I remove all the effects pedals there is no hum. I not a electronic whiz but I assume chaining all these pedals together along with powering them with batteries is probably not ideal and my be the major cause but Im just looking for some input and ideas form the community here as there seems to be a vast amount of knowledge from people in the forums here. I also need to note I dont live near any powerline or power plants that may be interfering with my electricity.

Any input or advice is greatly appreciated.
 #87043  by gdrfk1990

You can buy a chain and power the pedals off of the Boss tuner is it the white one ? As for the hum what type of pickups do you have ? If they are all single coil they hum that's what they do you can minimize it by lining the cavity with copper..(not sure if this is recomended or needed for humbuckers ??) I would change out the pickups for a set of silent humbucking lace sensors or the dimarzio HS3
 #87050  by myoung6923

Bypass them all and then start plugging them in one at a time and see if it's one particular effect or a patch cord causing it.
 #87051  by oldjoebones

gdrfk1990 wrote:You can buy a chain and power the pedals off of the Boss tuner is it the white one ? As for the hum what type of pickups do you have ? If they are all single coil they hum that's what they do you can minimize it by lining the cavity with copper..(not sure if this is recomended or needed for humbuckers ??) I would change out the pickups for a set of silent humbucking lace sensors or the dimarzio HS3
Yes its the white one.....also the pickups are below:

N3 Noiseless pickups
N3 Noiseless pickups deliver the best of yesterday and today, because they deliver landmark vintage Fender tone and response without the hum that can plague single-coil pickups. Using an improved stacked coil-coil design, N3 Noiseless pickups are specially tailored for each Stratocaster and Telecaster pickup position. The insulated metal core of each pickup position type differs in thickness and composition for enhanced tone, and Fender has fine-tuned the sized, shape, and wire gauge of the coils to balance the magnetic responsiveness essential to great tone. N3 pickups represent a welcome return to the warmth and clarity of alnico magnets. An Alnico 5 magnet is used in the bridge position, Alnico 2 in the middle position, and Alnico 3 for the neck position.
Last edited by oldjoebones on Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #87052  by oldjoebones

myoung6923 wrote:Bypass them all and then start plugging them in one at a time and see if it's one particular effect or a patch cord causing it.
I will give this a try tonight when I get home from work. Everything is brand new even the cords but I will still give it a whirl....

Also I forgot to mention the amp does have an effects loop jack on it as well but I have not used it....yet.
 #87055  by bdhact1

On top of everything else, the Boss EQ7 is a noisy little bitch as well. I have 2 and they both contribute noise to my chain. There are chip mods you can have done by Analogman or keeley that can quiet them up.
 #87062  by JonnyBoy

+1 on the GE7 noise, plus all pedals can have some inherent noise associated with them. This is why some choose to buy expensive pedals that have refined circuits to address noise issues. One piece of gear that would help you tame the pedals and get all those sometimes noisy buffers out of line would be a switcher. I think every pedal you have has a buffer circuit. I have experimented with a few buffer circuits for my guitar that are simple common versions used in pedals and they were noisy. Switching to better components helped tremendously, something Boss and Digitech has actually not done lately. They are using cheaper parts and components. If you can plug in each pedal alone without noise, but get noise when they are all in line, a switcher will solve your problem. Hope that helps.