Chat about Equipment Info
 #86928  by Chuckles

Hey -

How about you post some samples of what you've got and maybe suggestions can be made from there?

I know what you're talking about; vox can sound reedy or thin or lacking presence or whatever... but let's hear what you've got to work with?
 #86942  by Crazy 9.5 Fingers

Besides the technical stuff, mic choice, placement, sound chamber, etc, I think Vic hit it on the head. It is more about getting comfortable with your voice. When I was teaching vocal lessons, I always said that if you sing without conviction, it won't sound good even if you have naturally great tone and pitch. SO first things first, find your vocal sweet spot and focus on that. If you are recording vocal melodies out of your range, it's not going to sound good even if Nigel Godrich recorded it.

I also agree that you can get something of good quality with either an SM57 or a SM58. As far as reverb and effects go, when you solo the vocal track, it will sound weird until it is played in the mix. The rest of the mix will absorb a lot of the decay time and echo. It's ok to use a little bit of reverb for laying down the track, just don't depend on it to make you sound good. It's always best to record anything dry IMO, unless it's a stomp pedal or something like that for a guitar where it is part of the tone.

Speaking of that, here is one my favorite You Tube clips of Eddie Van Halen laying down his guitar track for Unchained. Track is isolated. Amazing. Good luck with the recording and put up some clips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-S-9-CpjWo

I still can never get the You Tube feature here to work.
 #87445  by Counterstriker

http://www.mediafire.com/?yl4hjyus6b1l7

(Freddy is part of the songs name, not my name! ha I'm Steve)

I got it to sound right! Maybe a little to bassy! but I'm still working on it! In that track it's me, my guitar - my ryth players guitar, his vocals and a slide track just to fill in the harmonies and Bass.

I'm really looking for something - Jerryish to do over the D A E progression (when we are harmonizing) The solo has that as the progression for a part of it.. any ideas?