#86698  by strumminsix

I've been a big fan of D'Adds but have been feeling the frustration of very frequent string changes.

I've been reading about their Nanowebs which supposedly sound and feel like regular steel strings.

What experiences does the collective here have?

Kinda stupid question - but did you have to lift your pickups a smidge to overcome the coating.
 #86701  by jdsmodulus

D'adds on my electrics. (many changes is true) I buy them in bulk.
Elixers on my acoustics. Nanowebs I think in the purple box. I like them after about an hour or so.
 #86703  by DeadAheadNH

Hi Strummin ... I love Elexirs!! Now that I started using them and got used to the silky feel I can't go back - normal strings now give me that same tingle like running fingers nails down a chalkboard. ... I use them on the electric and acoustic.

They definitely last forever ... I can't remember breaking one in a real long time. The downside is that don't sound as bright as some other strings I've used. As to the PU height its funny you ask .... I just raised mine to the limit (LACE SENSORs) and its really helped. I had my guitar tech lend his ears to get a perfect balance across the three PUs and across all the strings.
 #86705  by keirweir

I have been using Elixer 10 Nanowebs since I can remember. The polywebs are terrible.

Give the Nano's a try. I use the 10's but could use 11's too.
 #86710  by strumminsix

jdsmodulus wrote:D'adds on my electrics. (many changes is true) I buy them in bulk.
Elixers on my acoustics. Nanowebs I think in the purple box. I like them after about an hour or so.
EXACTLY how I've been running for about 8 years now, JD. Exactly the same. Scary :twisted:

marcuskeyser wrote:Hi Strummin ... I love Elexirs!! Now that I started using them and got used to the silky feel I can't go back - normal strings now give me that same tingle like running fingers nails down a chalkboard. ... I use them on the electric and acoustic.

They definitely last forever ... I can't remember breaking one in a real long time. The downside is that don't sound as bright as some other strings I've used. As to the PU height its funny you ask .... I just raised mine to the limit (LACE SENSORs) and its really helped. I had my guitar tech lend his ears to get a perfect balance across the three PUs and across all the strings.
Thanks much, Marcus!! At least I know there is some merit to what my mind is thinking (for once)
keirweir wrote:I have been using Elixer 10 Nanowebs since I can remember. The polywebs are terrible.
Those are the ones I was looking at, Keir! And yes, your other post re-sparked something that I had churning in my mind for some time...
RiverRat wrote:Bad News, I spend $60 for a set of strings... Good News, they last between 12 to 24 months! They get "fuzzy" when the Nano coating breaks down... a visual cue to let you know you're due for a string change.
Fuzzy underneath? I thought that was just dirt :oops:

Last question, anyone play slide with Elixers?
 #86712  by keirweir

RiverRat wrote:
strumminsix wrote:Fuzzy underneath? I thought that was just dirt :oops:
No.. the Nano coating breaks down in a way that the strands of the coating lift from the string in "hairs"... the more fiber break the "fuzzier" the string looks... makes the strings look like a furry caterpillar.

Are you sure your not talking about the Poly web? I have been using Nano's for literally years. I play a TON and never experience anything like that. I did experience somthing weird with the Poly's years ago. Somthing like what your saying.
 #86713  by Pete B.

'Love Elixers.
I think the Ernie Ball coated strings are a better value though.
'Almost always 5 bucks a pack cheaper for what to me feels like the same end-user string feel.
The EB coateds only come in electric packs though... so I am on the Nan0-web factor for my Acoustics.
Although, I currently have a set of black colored coated strings on my acoustic which are made by "Dr."... "Black Beauties" I think.

:smile: Black Coated Strings... keep on pourin' in.... 8)
 #86714  by strumminsix

keirweir wrote:
RiverRat wrote:
strumminsix wrote:Fuzzy underneath? I thought that was just dirt :oops:
No.. the Nano coating breaks down in a way that the strands of the coating lift from the string in "hairs"... the more fiber break the "fuzzier" the string looks... makes the strings look like a furry caterpillar.

Are you sure your not talking about the Poly web? I have been using Nano's for literally years. I play a TON and never experience anything like that. I did experience somthing weird with the Poly's years ago. Somthing like what your saying.
My bad. Yes, the Poly web on my acoustic.
 #86715  by hogan

I'm going to give the nanos a try on my acoustic. I messed w/ the Elixers when they came out years ago and wasn't to overwhelmed. If these suck, i'm holding you all responsible, but mostly just SS. :shock:
 #86722  by keirweir

AHHHH!

I am not sure about bass strings. The polyweb guitar strings do break down and have a weird hair kind of deal that happens. The Nano Guitar strings are worth a try!
 #86740  by DeadAheadNH

Hi all .... I just started dabbling with slide - MINGLEWOOD - and I think it works just great ...
KEIR - you rip it up with a slide .... I'm sure you agree the elixers don't slow you down huh?!?!?