#8657  by ded1hed

well i awoke this morning to find my po's number on my box, i wasnt supposed to see her until thursday. scared i went and bought a home test and failed it. needless to say i was seriously stressing, when i finally called her back she said she was leaving town and moved my appt. to thrs. the 14th. quite a break i thought to myself,

then just now as i was leaving the local mexican joint i found a twenty lying in the floor. being the nice guy i am i asked everybody in the place, but didnt find the owner. then i accompanied my friend to the library, a place i havent stepped foot in an embarrasingly long time. i figured id check out some music stuff.

i found searching for the sound, and sweet chaos, both dead bios. and also on the road again with bob dylan. so i left with my new found freedom(at least for another week :-) ) three cool books and twenty bucks in my pocket. needless to say i felt like i had stolen something walking out of there.

by the way any reviews on any of these books, ive heard searching for the sound is good, and i look forward to reading the dylan bio. anyways heres hoping all of your days treated you just as well

#8658  by phreaker

I found out at the start of the school day that one of my friends had purposely overdosed on cocaine. He was a true member of the extended Grateful Dead family.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... d=34014277

people have put some pretty deep stuff on there.

#8662  by Trystine

Ded1head, the only book that you mentioned that I've read was the Dylan bio. Depending on how you approach it that book can be a disappointment or an affirmation to a true artist. His legacy can be misleading at times. Most people I lend that book to give it back with an, "It was alright". They're expecting to read about some great parties from the 60's and rebellious behavior; when it actually digs deeper into Dylan as the humble genious that he is. After that book I took notice to Dylan's "innocent charm" as I call it.

Worth a read, just know what you're reading.

#8669  by Benthegoodbum

I've read the Dylan book and would like to read Searching. I love how Dylan has such a magnificent way with words. It was as though every line just leaped from the page.

#8676  by LazyLightnin

ive got the same situation with my PO. i got on probation becuz cops found a vic in my car, but heres the kicker: i had a prescription! youd think theyd let me go? HELL NO, since the script was 2 years old (from wisdom teeth) i got charged with possesion of a (forgot the level) narcotic. oh it gets better. the judge (well known in these parts) suspends my liscince for a year, put me in jail for 10 days and then put a breathalizer on my car! all in all its cost me almost $3k for this whole mess. whats even funnier is that it happened on CHRISTMAS. lol im not making this up. im now totally convinced that the notion of "justice" is an antiquety and out dated. for all intensive purposes ,we have no more rights.

#8679  by d-v-s

ded1hed - what a stroke of luck. Hope you can ride the wave of good kharma for as long as possible.

lazylightnin - I don't want to change the topic of this thread too much, but I have to disagree with your comment about justice and rights. the US is definitely leading the world on civil liberties and freedom.

OK, maybe you got screwed. I won't say that there's not bad cops or bad judges out there, but all in all the US system is pretty fair. In most countries, you wouldn't even see a judge in your situation, or have the opportunity to defend yourself.

The system is not perfect, but it's the best available at the moment.

#8681  by st stephen

phreaker: thats is horrible man...i am sorry for loss, hate to hear people dying because of drugs, depression and at such a young age. be strong!!

So many roads, to ease my soul

#8707  by phreaker

heres the thing that really gets to me about erics death.

Not meaning to stray too far from the topic at hand, but with politics and government and i guess the whole "combine" thing coming into this topic...

He was a pot smoker. Who isnt? His parents found out and started doing drug tests. he failed the first few, so they started testing him a LOT. He figured he couldnt smoke pot anymore, but he still wanted to get high. he reluctantly tried the more hardcore drugs, including cocaine. After a while, hard drugs started affecting him in a real negative way. he was the same old jolly happy go lucky eric, but he was always depressed. So finally, I guess he just said fuck it, im gonna do hella coke tonight, i dont even care. He left some gruesome hints toward his death being on purpose.

In the end, if you havent caught on yet, Im mad because he was smoking pot, which couldnt have killed him. as time went on, it was impossible for him to do that. in a way, he was forced into doing hard stuff. and god, i miss him.

#8712  by Crazy 9.5 Fingers

Phreaker, I am so sorry for your loss. I lost one of my best friends three years ago. He was working as a bush pilot in Africa with a research group tagging lions and shit like that. He went down in his plane. All I can say is that at some point you will be able to think of your buddy and smile. The pain will lessen, I promise. I know your situation is really different and you must be loaded with questions. I have no sage-like advice to make it better, there is none. All one can do is try and keep his memory close to your heart always and he will always be with you. So sorry man.

#8721  by Trystine

Reminds me when my class all lost a wonderful person weeks before graduating...A guy named Steve. Skinny, soft spoken, honest, and always wearing a tye-die. His parents abandoned him when he was a teenager but he never gave up; he kept on smiling, got a job, and got his grades up to graduate.

A group of guys headed to a festival in Morgantown, Steve sitting in the back seat in the middle. The driver lost control in the mountains and hit a tree. Needless to say, Steve went straight through the windshield, colliding with the tree.

It made me think because I actually planned to go with them but cancelled. Two alternate endings could've come of this. 1) I was a smaller person than Steve so I could've very well been in his seat 2) There would've been enough people to take two vehicles; thus, nobody would've been in that seat.

But, the thing that really probed everyone's minds was the song on the radio on impact: Knockin On Heaven's Door

Respects were paid, he was laid to rest, and at graduation...a chair with his cap and gown folded neatly on it. You could feel the lumps in everyone's throats when they called his name to honor what he had worked so hard to get...

RIP Steve

#8736  by LazyLightnin

grate point dvs, it is different in other parts of the world. i can look at other ppl that are being screwed and say " dang, what a bad rap" but when it happens to you, all the candy-coated crap about legality and justice totally fly out the window. courts in america are corporations also, everything ive had to deal with has had everything to do with draining my wallet and has had nothing to do with law enforcement or traffic saftey.

so sorry for your loss dedhead1. anxiety and depresson are bigger killers that anyone realizes. i dealt with it all through high school. it wasnt untill i turned 18 and left that hellhole i called home did i finally get some peace. and here i am career, school, and anything i need within reach. all things my folks told me id never acheive. its a shame your friend couldnt just "get away" if he'd givin it one more year.....sad...just tragic. ive had several friends o.d. and die and a few suicides in my own family, its awful i know man.