rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

#86608  by monroe
 Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:55 am
I've seen several mentions of the Hot Rod Deluxe (HRD) as a decent combo amp for some Jerry tones when someone is looking for something small and inexpensive. So, for those who have used an HRD, what settings do you use to dial in some jerry tones on a stock HRD?

PS - I know that replacing the speaker with a JBL would be ideal, and that's certainly on my todo list, but for now I'm stuck with the stock speaker.
 #86626  by tigerstrat
 Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:59 am
monroe wrote:I've seen several mentions of the Hot Rod Deluxe (HRD) as a decent combo amp for some Jerry tones when someone is looking for something small and inexpensive. So, for those who have used an HRD, what settings do you use to dial in some jerry tones on a stock HRD?

PS - I know that replacing the speaker with a JBL would be ideal, and that's certainly on my todo list, but for now I'm stuck with the stock speaker.
Dime the treble, kill the bass, bump up the mids and reverb. Compensate with your pickup tone pot. Go from there.
 #86632  by unnbrokenchain
 Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:28 am
It's been forever since I had my HRD, but I used to nail those sounds pretty well with a few others as well. They're great little amps despite what anyone says about them. Mine was all stock and kept it that way.
 #86637  by bdhact1
 Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:06 am
I'm getting great Jerry sounds on my HRD with the settings mentioned above:

Treb 10
Bass 0

But also:

Mid 5
Reverb 3.5
Presence 2.5
Master Volume 10

Use Channel 1 only,
Brightness switch off.