rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

#86285  by Ender
 Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:48 am
Hey Guys, I picked up a deluxe reverb a couple months ago and its time it got serviced, so i figured id just ask my tech to do the preamp tap. Would he know what to do if i printed out the diagram from waldos site? What exactly should i tell him to do and is there a way to tap it and still use it as a combo if i wanted to?
sorry if this question was brought up before, but i couldn't see to find a straightforward answer. THANKS! :hail:
 #86292  by tigerstrat
 Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:10 am
Ender wrote:is there a way to tap it and still use it as a combo if i wanted to?
Wouldn't hurt to show the tech Waldo's switching-jack diagram, for this purpose. If you skip the switching arrangement and just make a simple tap to a standard jack (like I did), you can reconvert to a combo use simply by inserting a dummy plug (or a snipped-off cable end)into the jack.
 #86323  by waldo041
 Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:49 am
a "good" tech should totally understand the schem/layout.

peace,
waldo
 #86358  by Ender
 Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:45 am
" If you skip the switching arrangement and just make a simple tap to a standard jack (like I did), you can reconvert to a combo use simply by inserting a dummy plug (or a snipped-off cable end)into the jack."

Thats sounds exactly what i want to do. Putting in the mid control sounds like a fantastic idea too.... I've also heard things about a bright cap in vibrato channel that should be clipped? 8)
 #86359  by waldo041
 Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:57 am
with the swicthing jack i show on the schem/layout, you can use the amp as a combo by removing the plug and reconnecting the speakers. no dummy plug needed.

as for the mid control, what i did was remove input 2 and moved the volume to to that hole, and rewired a mid control in the tone controls by sliding the bass knob where the volume was and placing the mid control where the bass was. this way when used as a combo the only function i lost was the use of input 2, which i never use.

peace,
waldo