#15517  by phpbb

It's been a while since we've posted some video for you, but Ed is back at it with some Video Instruction to go with the tab for "I'll take a Melody".

Hope you enjoy it..

You can find it here:

http://www.rukind.org/bickslicks/Melody/

or in the Videos menu.

#15520  by shakedown_04092

Great song...thanks Ed! :cool:
Last edited by shakedown_04092 on Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

#15521  by phpbb

you mean Ed.

#15522  by shakedown_04092

Hey, that's what I said! Hehehe....

But I am going to get some videos up...as soon as I find my damn camera. I think it got lost in the move. Well, not lost, I don't think...just packed in a box where it didn't belong. Actually, I'm convinced my fiance put it where it didn't belong because I remember seeing it after we moved in. She's always picking stuff up and putting it in random places where I can't find it :x , and then forgets these events and swears she never touched whatever it is that I'm looking for :roll: . Ahh, the beauties of marriage, I can see it now! :?

#15525  by BlobWeird

Hey just gonna post my version of that pre chorus lick here. I like to use octaves for the first notes.

E|---------------------------------------
B|---------------------------------------
G|--9/7---------------------------------
D|---------------------------------------
A|--7/5---------------------------------
E|--------7--0--2h3--0----0--2--4--5-----

Oh and just curious. does anyone else have problems copying and pasting from the tab creator?

#15527  by BlobWeird

Oh and btw Thanks alot for that bridge man. I always just goofed around during that part lol. So yeah it sounds right on the money with a version I have. Good work keep it up.
 #81160  by brutusbuck45

I've been listening to the version that's on the 'Let it Rock' CD (Keystones Sessions). It is a great recording. I was looking for the chord charts on the forum and found Ed's always informative vids. Thanks! I did find a chart on Ultimate Guitar, though. Transpose as necessary.

***EDIT: I noticed after I posted this, the spacing for the chord placement is eliminated. So here is the URL I found it at:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/g/g ... dy_crd.htm

I'LL TAKE A MELODY

(RIFF 1)

E|---------------------------------
B|---------------------------------
G|-11-9--11-9----------------------
D|-----11----11-9--9-11-7----------
A|---------------12----------------
E|---------------------------------

A D E A
I've seen the rain pouring down. The sky was grey with a speck of blue.
A D E A
Deep through a hole in the clouds, the sun was screaming' hey you.
A D E A
As you ramble through your sorrow, seems like everything come out wrong.
A D E A
I'm living in yesterday's tomorrow's, I know something's helping me along.

(RIFF 2)
Forgot it for now - I'll post it later

A D E
I'll take a melody and see what I can do about it.
A D E
I'll take a simple C to G and feel brand new about it.
F#m Bm F#m Bm C Bm C Bm C
I understand why the old mission men sail along, sail along, sail along.
D E
Someday he'll be gone

(RIFF 1)

A D E A
I hear you talking' 'bout your troubles. Everybody's got their troubles
too.
A D E A
You can make them burst like clouds, if you know just what to do.
A D E A
You know I've been called a dreamer. Dreams that never will come true.
A D E A
But I've been called so many things before. Tell you what I'm gonna do.

(RIFF 2)

A D E
I'll take a melody and see what I can do about it.
A D E
I'll take a simple C to G and feel brand new about it.
F#m Bm F#m Bm C Bm C Bm C
I understand why the old mission men sail along, sail along, sail along.
D E
Someday he'll be gone

(RIFF 1)

RIFF 1>>ROCK RIFF >>SHINE ON
 #86100  by mttourpro

Really been digging into this tune lately and checked what's here already......just a couple thoughts---

Ibelieve the verse goes A Bmin/A E (no D)

I have the chords in the bridge as F#min to C# min (not Bmin) then to D (not C) then repeats the F# C# twice and ends with D to E

Also, I figured out the "rock part" as C D C A then (walkdown) C B Bb A then C D E >riff to jam.

What a GREAT song. I am so looking forward to playing this one out at our next gig. :hail:
 #86109  by tigerstrat

mttourpro wrote:Really been digging into this tune lately and checked what's here already......just a couple thoughts---

Ibelieve the verse goes A Bmin/A E (no D)

I have the chords in the bridge as F#min to C# min (not Bmin) then to D (not C) then repeats the F# C# twice and ends with D to E

Also, I figured out the "rock part" as C D C A then (walkdown) C B Bb A then C D E >riff to jam.

What a GREAT song. I am so looking forward to playing this one out at our next gig. :hail:
Jeez Louise the verse could work but how did they muck up the B part of the chorus (the part you are calling the bridge) so bad? they really took Melody and tabbed "brand new about it" didn't they?

Agreed on all points except the bridge ("rock part"): it opens C / / / Eb / / / , the rest is as you described

Additionally, I'm pretty sure it's "fishermen" sailing along, not "mission men"...
 #86134  by mttourpro

TS, so you're saying the "Rock Part" goes C Eb D C A to walkdown, then C D E to riff??

I'll try that when I get a chance.....I was hearing the D instead of the Eb and I learned it from the CD from Orpheum 76 with Keith and Donna---I think it's called Don't Let Go.

Also, we really listened to the intro riff and decided it goes A Bmin/A D

Wondering what version you took yours from. MT
 #86150  by tigerstrat

mttourpro wrote:TS, so you're saying the "Rock Part" goes C Eb D C A to walkdown, then C D E to riff??
excise that 1st D and you've got it
 #86151  by tigerstrat

tigerstrat wrote:
mttourpro wrote:TS, so you're saying the "Rock Part" goes C Eb D C A to walkdown, then C D E to riff??
excise that 1st D and you've got it
Here's how we played it at the last Cats show 8/21/10 http://www.mediafire.com/?ep3zxkaxn53t8
 #86176  by pappypgh

There is no chance that Eb is correct. TS, it's been a long time since I've been here and I still love you bro....but that chord is dead wrong. It's a D. I tried it this morning before I came to work. It's just not right. C > D....C > A.....C....D...E....
That's the rock part, at least how JGB did it. I've never heard the original version.
 #86188  by jeffm725

pappypgh wrote:There is no chance that Eb is correct. TS, it's been a long time since I've been here and I still love you bro....but that chord is dead wrong. It's a D. I tried it this morning before I came to work. It's just not right. C > D....C > A.....C....D...E....
That's the rock part, at least how JGB did it. I've never heard the original version.
yes pappy everything you say here is correct. I havent listened to TS version posted here of his cats band, but he cant be playing Eb there. He just cant....It is D all the way!
 #86191  by tigerstrat

pappypgh wrote:There is no chance that Eb is correct. TS, it's been a long time since I've been here and I still love you bro....but that chord is dead wrong. It's a D. I tried it this morning before I came to work. It's just not right. C > D....C > A.....C....D...E....
Fuck... how humiliating. I checked it too and I really screwed pooch on that chord. My least flimsy excuse is we only had about 2 hours total to rehearse a show of approximately equal length- maybe performing is just not a good idea when life has reached that point.

At least we were all on the same page and it's not a leading or resolution chord in the passage- yeah, that makes me feel better... Hey what happened to the option to delete posts? I guess I'll have let my shameful inaccuracy show for as long as the servers run.