#85463  by Jon S.

Disclaimer: Posting this URL most certainly is not an endorsement of the interviewee's views. I just thought it was different and possibly interesting.

http://www.jambands.com/features/2006/0 ... nn-coulter
 #85477  by strumminsix

I'm always surprised at the dichotomy of most deadheads:
A - music transcends everything and the GD had an amazing power
B - everybody must think the same way I think or I'm shocked

It's actually rather sickening. I love the fact the love of the music draw folks of all backgrounds, faiths, color, and ideologies.
 #85478  by JonnyBoy

That surprised the hell out of me. I think its just fine though, she seems to have no problem with the way people want to live or the choices they make. When you delve into politics you find conservatives want little government and being told what to do. Its the elitists that use politics as a weapon rather than a virtue. I remember something an old dead head now libertarian once told me
" If you are young and conservative you have no heart, If you are old and liberal you have no brain."
I am not sure I agree with it, I just thought it was a neat saying.....
 #85481  by Stevo123

Conservative and liberal are terms that mean very little anymore. "Classical liberalism" was old-school conservativism which is very much in line with libertarianism. I don't understand why there would be any kind of a natural link between deadheads and democrats or modern liberals. Seems to me the only thing consistent with the whole hippie movement/GD culture would be libertarianism. When I think of a good dead head I think of someone that really opposes government meddling in their life, and would reject completely the idea of forcing certain behaviors on others through government force. The whole importance of community in the culture seems to have an emphasis on local solutions, taking care of those in your immediate vicinity, not bloated federal programs to take care of everyone. It's why I was really confused when the guys came out in support of Obama for the last election. Not that I was a Mccain guy, I think that the two parties give you an illusion of choice but the policies and the overarching agenda stay the same no matter what.
 #85482  by Billbbill

As has been pointed out in the past we've tried to keep this board from the lunacy that often manifests in the political discussion realm. I have ripped into Ms. Coulter, albeit briefly, here myself violating this very idea.

One point though that dovetails somewhat with strummins point - it is indeed a pretty varied lot that is attracted to the dead. What I think tends to confuse is that when folks think of the dead they think freedom, and doing your own thing, and live and let live kinda attitudes - and indeed in the few instances the band has even remotely ventured into the politcal realm it has been with these ideals and then maybe at times even slightly into the liberal realm with endorsements etc.

What gets lost is the fact that from a freedom perspective traditional conservatism (or Libertarian as well) and liberalism are very similar. I think it's this aspect that gets attributed to one side or the other, unnecessarily, and maybe errantly, usually based on one's own particular bias or tendencies. Labels tend to limit and distort.

The problems arise when the role of government is considered, both in terms of what folks think government should be and what they think it is. And of course big money enters the fray and all hell breaks loose. It's at this point that conservatism and liberalism get distorted and co-opted by special interests with specific agendas that more often than not confict with the idea of freedom.

OK that's it from me not discussing politics. :P
 #85488  by golfnutt

It was, and still is always been about the music (to me). As to what others do, say, and think is not that important. It was the music that sucked me in, and not any of the periphery elements.
Believe it if you need it, or leave it if you dare.
 #85499  by williamsaut

JonnyBoy wrote:That surprised the hell out of me. I think its just fine though, she seems to have no problem with the way people want to live or the choices they make. When you delve into politics you find conservatives want little government and being told what to do. Its the elitists that use politics as a weapon rather than a virtue. I remember something an old dead head now libertarian once told me
" If you are young and conservative you have no heart, If you are old and liberal you have no brain."
I am not sure I agree with it, I just thought it was a neat saying.....
That's quote is actually Winston Churchhill FYI.

"Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains." - Winston Churchill