#85339  by Grateful Dad

I'm trying to upgrade my guitar without breaking the bank!

I've been looking at and comparing the Ibanez Artist guitars specifically the older model AR2619 and the spanking new "Prestige" model AR300RE. They appear to be identical guitars. I have found the late 70's/early 80's AR2619 for around $1,000.00 to $1,500.00 (depending on condition) and the new AR300RE goes for appx. $3,000.00.

Seems to be a no brainer to find an older vintage model in decent shape than to pay 2x as much for a new one.

Any thoughts?
 #85342  by alcorelectric

2619 is the way to go
The PU are super 80s (similar construction to the super IIs)
The quality is outstanding.
Although I dont have a 2619 or a 300 I do have several 2622s, one 2617, several MCs, and a couple ARs.
Therefore I think i can attest to their quality
HTH
T
 #85344  by Grateful Dad

alcorelectric wrote:2619 is the way to go
The PU are super 80s (similar construction to the super IIs)
The quality is outstanding.
Although I dont have a 2619 or a 300 I do have several 2622s, one 2617, several MCs, and a couple ARs.
Therefore I think i can attest to their quality
HTH
T
Thanks for the feedback. Some people I have spoken to say the 2619 was a better guitar than the similar Les Pauls of the era.
 #85347  by alcorelectric

Again, I cant attest to any LPs.
But, if I were you, I would look into an ealy 80s Ibanez ar100 they are evry bit as good as any gibson I have and the cost is reasonable enough to where you can mod it without feeling guilty
T
 #85348  by Grateful Dad

alcorelectric wrote:Again, I cant attest to any LPs.
But, if I were you, I would look into an ealy 80s Ibanez ar100 they are evry bit as good as any gibson I have and the cost is reasonable enough to where you can mod it without feeling guilty
T
Thanks for the advice!

I found a cool website to check out all the vintage Ibanez guitar catalogs from 1971 to 2007. Check out Bobby on the cover of the 1978 catalog along with George Benson, Paul Stanley, and Steve Miller.

http://s93105080.onlinehome.us/Ibanez-C ... 978/06.jpg
 #85354  by alcorelectric

Thanks TJ
The last one is my backdrop
They really are sweeeet guitars
I also have an ar100 that looks ugly but sounds awsome ( the PUs were replaced by the original owner to an early 80s dimarzio)
and a ST 300 that I changed the PUs to Dimarzio vitual PAFs
T
 #85355  by Grateful Dad

Tennessee Jedi wrote:Gosh darn you got some sweet guitars !
:smile:
Grateful Dad - hook up bro - you only live once
peace
Dude!

I'll let you know as soon as I do!

Do you think Buddy Ryan would put a bounty on TO if he were coaching the Eagles on Friday night?
:D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
 #85357  by Tennessee Jedi

alcorelectric wrote:Thanks TJ
The last one is my backdrop
They really are sweeeet guitars
I also have an ar100 that looks ugly but sounds awsome ( the PUs were replaced by the original owner to an early 80s dimarzio)
and a ST 300 that I changed the PUs to Dimarzio vitual PAFs
T
There should be an Ibanez Forum on the Kind - lots of guys use 'em here - and I love looking at 'em too ....
Grateful Dad wrote:
Do you think Buddy Ryan would put a bounty on TO if he were coaching the Eagles on Friday night?
:D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
muhahhahhahaha !
You think he hates Mcnabb or Romo more ?
:?:
On a side note we got to get the fantasy team rolling this year - we didnt do it last year - so I'm still the reigning champ
8)
 #85360  by strumminsix

All hail the Mighty T as the professor of all things Ibanez Guitars!!!

I just love your collection.
 #85364  by alcorelectric

Thanks Nick,
I can only say that when I got my first Musician I was hooked.
These old Ibanez play better than any of my other guitars
And , the EQ on these models is tonally awesome
T