Chat about Equipment Info
 #85011  by tigerstrat

What type of a flanger is that anyway?
 #85012  by tcsned

have you had a sit down with him and all wrote him letters to the point of:
"We loved your tone before you got mixed up with that flanger. We want our pre-flange tone back." Do they have a 12-step program for overdone effects?

Seriously, if he's just started using the thing he'll probably chill out once the novelty has worm off. I listened to the track and while it was a little intense, I've heard a lot worse effect abuse and have probably been guilty of it myself. When I first got my talkbox I overused it. Then after a month or so I thought to myself, "does Cumberland Blues really need a talkbox in it?" Now I use it once a night maybe twice but never more than that and on songs where it is more fitting. I've got a buddy who's a great player and plays a lot of funk-rock stuff. He has a whole slew of pedals that he painted over so you can't tell what they are (he can't even remember) and sets 'em up turns the knobs to random places and when the mood strikes he turns one on and away he goes. Sometimes it works . . . sometimes not.
 #85013  by keirweir

I just figured it out, I think ... he told me he couldn't turn it off during the second set and couldn't understand why ... it had a flashing green and red light and wouldn't shut off. He finally freaked out and unplugged it completely.
If you stand and hold down the pedal for a 3-5 clip it will lock down some weird mode where you can't shut it off... Unless of course you stand on it for an additional 3-5 seconds. Very similar to my Boss digital delay.
 #85014  by playingdead

The envelope is modeled more after my Q-Tron ... I like it fat and throaty and not as liquid sounding or peaky. Personal preference. This is all digital direct. It's unusually fat sounding because I had a very hot guitar output into the amp block, so the base clean tone was much more overdriven and squishy than it usually is, you can hear it when the envelope gets shut off. Was having effects cable problems that night during soundcheck and no time to troubleshoot; had to ditch the whole effects loop setup and wound up running the guitar volume on 10 all night long with a boost for soloing.

I was right, he didn't know how to use the tap tempo thing ... and he thought it was a bit overdone as well when he heard it. He'll be infatuated with it for a while and then settle back easy. He never gets to play with his gear at home, so shows (and very rare) rehearsals are where he experiments. And, of course, when the whole band is playing (and it was through a very big system on a big stage Saturday), you don't hear your guitar tone very accurately.
 #85016  by playingdead

tcsned wrote:Then after a month or so I thought to myself, "does Cumberland Blues really need a talkbox in it?"
Best line of the year so far!
 #85022  by tigerstrat

"This is your brain..."

"...Get the picture?"
 #85023  by tcsned

playingdead wrote:
tcsned wrote:Then after a month or so I thought to myself, "does Cumberland Blues really need a talkbox in it?"
Best line of the year so far!
Just because you can doesn't mean you should :D