Chat about Equipment Info
 #84946  by tigerstrat

I don't see the joke or the problem with this. Yes he brought suit against the GD on behalf of Garcia's will... and it sure looks like a genuine 1-of-akind Irwin effing guitar. Very cool.
 #84947  by strumminsix

tigerstrat wrote:I don't see the joke or the problem with this. Yes he brought suit against the GD on behalf of Garcia's will... and it sure looks like a genuine 1-of-akind Irwin effing guitar. Very cool.
I too respected that part. He was advocating for Jerry posthumously. Seems proper.

And yes, looks totally legit.
 #84948  by NWPines

jdsmodulus wrote:Personally he lost me at "I'm the guy who sued the GD" :shock:
Yeah, that struck me as an odd thing to include in his ad. But....... a very compelling case can be made that Jerry wanted those guitars to go to Irwin (it was in his will!), and that the "GD" as a business entity were being totally unreasonable about it.
 #84956  by erock

Tennessee Jedi wrote:After reading his E bay ad I realized that one of our members probably knows the guy. Maybe he can shed some light on the guitar .....
Its one of a kind from a respected builder - $ 20,000 might be too low ?
:D

I was kind of wondering if they maybe a member, even if they are a lurker :shock:
 #84959  by jdsmodulus

tigerstrat wrote:I don't see the joke or the problem with this. Yes he brought suit against the GD on behalf of Garcia's will... and it sure looks like a genuine 1-of-akind Irwin effing guitar. Very cool.
No joke was intended, at least on my part. It is a legit Irwin. Im not going into the Garcia will stuff. I also have no problem with this, your just not going to see me bid on it. :peas:
 #84985  by Chuckles

Actually a beautiful piece of work, but this made me chuckle:

"it had an original DiMarzio pickup in the neck position which came unglued at a gig in the 80's"

Unglued?

And... sorry, but the cracked finish isn't cute, it's a flaw.
 #85036  by hotasaPistol

OK.....my name is George aka hotasaPistol and have been around here for awhile....Ten Jedi will vouch for me...my cousin, his wife and I started Orange Blossom Junction 6 years ago..I am the chef...I also happened to live and train in Paris for quite some time.....we are a restaurant banquet special event place that also has very intimate concerts...we have had some of the greatest guitar players at our joint...150 capacity for a show...worst seat in the house is 30 feet from the stage....Johnny Winter, Eric Johnson, Dave Mason, Frank Marino, Tommy Emmanuel, Leslie West, David Lindley, Les Dudek, Gary Hoey ( who I got to play with last night at a show at our place) just to name a few.... we are all about music and food......
there is no bs this story and guitar are totally legit.....as far as I know the story is something like this:
My cousin the lawyer who also happens to be named Doug also is a fantastic blues/rock guitar player.
He had a band in the bay area in the 70's that almost made it...opened for the Tubes, Canned Heat and other well known bands....almost got a record deal but didn;t quite get it done....
he and Irwin became friends , he hung out at Alembic, knows Mr Leiber, actually met Jerry at the shop....and at the time Irwin was building Tiger he was building this guitar for my cousin.....literally side by side.....Irwin made extra fret markers for Tiger that Jerry didn't want in Tiger and they went into this guitar........as far as the finish goes it is what it is...you can call it a flaw but the Mona Lisa has flaws in it and in some ways makes it more attractive....I remember people ripping the work on Tiger after Waldo did his investigation and picture deal.......this guitar is a thing of beauty....i have held it and it feels like a dream.....as far as the will thing goes my cousin was contacted by Irwin to help him out.....no matter how you feel about the battle over the guitars Irwin and my cousin were/did following Jerry's directions and wishes...the polictical and emotional firestorm of who was right or wrong has nothing to do with this and really is and was nobody's business but Irwins and Garcia's as far as I am concerned....
this guitar is really one of a kind and you may or may not agree about it being as close to Tiger as you can get but that is another discussion.....bottom line is that this is the real deal.....my cousin wants to sell the guitar.....I may not be completely accurate on this story but am fairly certain that I am 99% correct......if any one has any questions I will be glad to do my best to get you the answers.....send me a pm and I will forward them to my cousin.......
hope this sheds some light

take care

George :smile: :smile: :smile:
 #85041  by JonnyBoy

Real cool, I wish I could afford such things... Again, like other guitars ranging 20K and more, it seems like these works of art almost need to have agents selling them to find the right markets... I wonder how many from the past sell off Ebay and Craig's list posted in that price range?

Cool story pistol. You're a business owner, that explains our earlier political talks :lol: When I had my own business, I could have strangled the IRS for making more than me.
 #85117  by tcsned

thanks pistol! very cool, didn't Thomas post some pics of that guitar either here or on his website? It looks very familiar. As far as the lawsuit goes, getting bent at a lawyer who was hired to represent someone's interests is misplacing the anger IMHO. I don't know all the particulars but it seemed like it was Jerry's wishes for Doug to get those guitars back.